Slight hesitation on startup

chromofoam

Hi all,

This (in the interests of transparency) is related to the car i'm trying to sell and is in the interests of fixing it before I sell it!

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=83977 < thread about the car here

When she starts up, there's a bit of a hesitation sometimes, and it takes a few cranks to get her going, but once it fires there's no plumes of smoke or any problems like that, just a little grumbly - I found that the idle adjuster on the throttle sometimes loosens itself over time and twisting that one turn or so sorts it out, but it still has a bit of a struggle when cold starting.

Once the engine is warm, there are no problems - I'm led to believe this might be a glow plug problem? Other diagnostics show no problems with oil in the water or vice versa (oil was changed about 2-3 weeks ago and was fine, nice and black!), only thing i haven't done is check the voltage across the glow plugs.

Any advice appreciated, want to get this fixed sharpish so I can tidy her up for sale or swap.

Cheers all

A

It could be your starter motor on its way out...

A cold engine is much hard to crank over due to the oil being cold etc. so when its warmed up, you'll find the car starts a lot easier. I had very similar symptoms on my 90, and was cured when I changed out the starter. (had a britpart one installed - lasted about 2 yrs) or 1 yr as the hesitant starting, started about 1 yr into having put it in...

Mav

It could be yeah, but it seems to crank and start fine. I venture that it might be a duff glow plug, a clogged injector, split air hose or an air leak somewhere...I need to do some tests and eliminate those areas. I highly suspect a vacuum leak somewhere (at least I bloody hope it's that because a starter motor will make my wallet cry)

It does seem to be marginally better in warmer weather and there aren't any problems when it's running along or coming to idle at junctions etc, only just after initial firing of the engine...quite bizarre.

I'll let you all know what I discover.