200tsi v-belts.

Are there multiple lengths of v-belt on Defender 200TDI engines? Metric belts are basically impossible to find over here so getting others is a bit of a pain. The ones I've been ordering seem too short; the fan/pump/alt belt was very hard to fit even with the alt tensioner unbolted entirely and the PS belts require the pump bracket to be unbolted from the block... this seems wrong.

Sorry, I thought I mentioned metric belts are a real pain to get here. I was hoping to just add the right belts to my next Allmakes order as shipping them from the UK from another vendor is another shipment which makes them crazy expensive so knowing exactly which ones I need is key. Are there supposed to be 2 different lengths because the ones I've been ordering are listed as 200TDI/DEF but clearly too short.

in my Defender spec 200tdi I always use these 3 Dayco belts

timing belt Dayco 94489/109RP+300H

water pump/alternator Dayco 11A1025C

pas belt Dayco 13A0725C

the alt & pas belts need the pump or alt moving or unbolting, I've never seen any longer belts for this engine.

Just so we understand... All of the size information is within the Dayco part numbers..... If you want larger or smaller, it is easy to figure out.

17285 = Belt cross section width ~17/32, 28.5" (724 mm) length

13A0725C = Belt cross section ~13mm, 725 mm length

http://www.dayco.ca/canadaweb.nsf/2e8608ddbc680b8c862572af005f8a9a/0a402cd258dc045d862572c200695348

Being bored, I thought I would look up how automotive V-belts are sized. I'm familiar with industrial belting which is all 40 degree belting in different cross sections.

Apparently it is all set by SAE J636c. They have tables for pulley sizing but do not regulate belt cross section sizing. All pulleys are 36 degree. There is an imperial and a metric table, but they are the same actual dimensions.

The 0.5" (12.7mm) pulley width (at the top) is SAE size 13A in metric.

The 0.441" (11.2mm) pulley width is SAE size 11A.

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problem: changing the fan/alt belt and the PS belt on my 200Tdi (defender).

PS belt works OK, but the fan/alt belt is a real PITA.

The fan belt that came off is a Gates 6472MC, which is 12mm wide and 1025mm long. Put on there by a previous owner.

I thought to just go and buy the proper belt that should go on there as the 12mm wide one is chafing the engine block between fan pulley and crankshaft pulley. The correct belt (as by gates catalogue) is the 6221MC, which is 10mm wide and 1025mm long. This is the same size as ETC7939.

This belt is however (25mm shorter than the one that was on there) impossible to get on there. I have a 70A alternator (with original small pulley), that is perhaps a bit beefier that the original 45A, so it won't tilt enough to give me enough room to get the belt on. And once I have the belt on, I cannot bolt the alternator back on.

So I think I might source a longer belt in the same width. That would make an AVX10x1025LA belt, which gates sells under 6222MC which is actually used on defenders 90-94 with 61kW 2.5L petrol engines (17J) with aircon.

I think as long as the width is OK, the length is adjustable with the tensioning system. There is enough room to tilt the alternator to the side to tension the belt.

The bigger alternator is physically bigger so you'll find you don't get as much slack in the system due to the alternator hitting the brackets, I've just been through this with my CT 110 which had a massive 80 amp alternator in it, I've gone back to a 65amp but still needed to use 1050mm belt which is LR part number 563132 (DAYCO number 10A1050C)which I believe is a series 2/3 4 cylinder engine belt.

Mav