Tool rolls

MogLite

Well this is a tools and fabrication forum, so its perfectly apt - the fact that it may evolve into a sewing thread is inconsequential :P

My socket set and tools needs re-packaging into a tool-roll.

The biggest and best tool roll I can find is from Demon Tweeks

VITRCTR.jpg

and its over £50 - FFS

I was going to ask - does anyone know of any bigger and better ones - which is still a valid question.

However I was also thinking I could buy a 2nd hand sewing machine and make one for less than that.

Then I thought I could find some orange vinyl, and trim it in black, and I'd be in Laura Ashley heaven :D

Then there is scope for making natty little pockets for holding shackles etc with velcro fastenings - the scope is endless.

So come on own up - who knows the ins-outs of sewing vinyl - whos done this kinda stuff before.

other than co-ordination and of course cutting edge couture - my question would be why have one?

I was going to pick your brains about sewing sequins as I know having watched your drag act you are a bit of a demon with spandex and sequins - its not for me of course, my navigator needs to cut more of a dash :blink:

Andy,

Why not use Latex superglue and Vecro, this could be fully intergrated into the GIMP suit thereby allowing enjoyment of all hobbies at the same time ?

Just be carefull re storage of a track rod splitter :blink:

A whole new meaning for the phrase "My Spanner man"

Nige

PS Plastic tool rolls "Sweat", use cloth,

they will dry if they get soaked....sweaty rolls (ooer) = Rusty Tools (Double Oooer)

Nige :ph34r:

That Icon ^ does really look suspect nowdays doesn't it ?

I'd agree with Nige, I've got a plastic spanner role in the truck and its horrible; the spanners are alwyas damp and slippery with grease and oil (are you going to wipe down tools in the heat of the moment?). What about getting hold of an ex-MOD role and moddifying it? I know Si White's sourced some but they're HUGE. At least it gives something to start with.

What about getting hold of an ex-MOD role and moddifying it?

Damn Will thats a good idea :)

Just found these on Anchor Supplies website for a tenner - gives me an excuse to go to Sodbury :)

10028.jpg

Nigel - I'm gonna sneak up on you under the cover of darkness !!!!!

If I oil the latex, you might not hear me behind you - until its too late :D

Andy,

As will said, I bought one of those ex navy tool rolls from Anchor. Thought £10 was a billy bargain, but couldn't believe it when they spanked me for £11 postage! When the thing arrived I thought the postage was quite reasonable! It is bluudy HUGE, easily 5 feet by 3 feet rolled out, but it takes tonnes of tools. I'm going to mod mine one day to make it a bit smaller when unrolled - I unroll mine between the seatboxes and have to shift it along to get it into the end. Get one for the price, it's bliss not having rattly tools any more!

• 2 months later...

Well its been a while, but I finally got around to buying a Sparc tool bag from Demon Tweeks

I've thrown a few tools and bits in it

On the outside are the latex gloves :moglite: , torch, knife and a couple of screwdrivers for quick fixes.

I'll probably try and get a tiny can of WD40, and some racer tape for the big pocket

post-16-1166467194_thumb.jpg

On the inside, are more pockets, and a fold out tool-roll

post-16-1166467214_thumb.jpg

Here is a close-up of the tool-roll

post-16-1166467230_thumb.jpg

Seems to be pretty good at the moment. I've not got any sockets in there at the moment. I've pillaged my MachineMart tool case, and thats got loads of 1/4" bits. I've got some socket rails on order, I'll probably screw them to a backing board and call it good.

The idea is I can throw it in MogLite, my daily driver, or my truck, depends on what I'm using.

I've also got a partitioned box with nuts, bolts, fuses etc, that can go with it.

To complete the trio, I've got a Haliburton case with more personal stuff in it, camera, GPS, wash bag, and a few other bits and bobs.

Maybe I was a boy-scout in a previously life :blush:

Sorry no picture but Margaret made a tool rool out of some scrap cotton when I was rallying to carry my get you home from a rally tool set.

That roll now sits under the drivers seat.

I packed up rallying in 1986.

mike FOAK

Knickers

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well its been a while, but I finally got around to buying a Sparc tool bag from Demon Tweeks

I've thrown a few tools and bits in it

On the outside are the latex gloves :moglite: , torch, knife and a couple of screwdrivers for quick fixes.

I'll probably try and get a tiny can of WD40, and some racer tape for the big pocket

post-16-1166467194_thumb.jpg

On the inside, are more pockets, and a fold out tool-roll

post-16-1166467214_thumb.jpg

Here is a close-up of the tool-roll

post-16-1166467230_thumb.jpg

Seems to be pretty good at the moment. I've not got any sockets in there at the moment. I've pillaged my MachineMart tool case, and thats got loads of 1/4" bits. I've got some socket rails on order, I'll probably screw them to a backing board and call it good.

The idea is I can throw it in MogLite, my daily driver, or my truck, depends on what I'm using.

I've also got a partitioned box with nuts, bolts, fuses etc, that can go with it.

To complete the trio, I've got a Haliburton case with more personal stuff in it, camera, GPS, wash bag, and a few other bits and bobs.

Maybe I was a boy-scout in a previously life :blush:

Nice but i would have got the sewing machine out and made one. But maybe i should not have mentioned that :) .

BTW Still see you have the same vinyl in your kichen then, course you would ,the selfish b**tard who you could get cheap flooring off left the country :)