Getting a motorcycle into a 110

Hi there,

I've got a two-seated Defender 110 with about 190cm cargo space behind me. I do consider buying myself a BMW F650 GS motorcycle (old model). Due to my circumstances I may need to relocate with both good things (about 2000 km). Trailer is too complicated for an option. I read from the specs that the bike is about 210 cm long, so it seems to be possible to squeeze the bike into the truck. I don't know any F650 owners around to try it "live", so I'm asking this:

If you have transported a BMW F650 with a two-seated LR Defender 110 without damaging neither the truck nor the bike, please share your experience. Thanks.

I can't answer directly but surely you could do it if you took of at least the front wheel, if not both, and maybe twisted the handlebars as well? I'd imagine getting it through the door would be the bigger problem if it was in one piece.

Don

I can remember when I were a lad (about 14) me 'ad a suzuki scramble bike, (TC 90 for the anally retentive), and my dad had an 88", we used to get it in the back no probs. We had 2 bits of wood, first was wide and thick and long, the other was wide and thick and shorter. Lay the long one up to the rear floor, with the door open, turn bike around so goes in rear end first, push bike up ramp, then when sump almost level with rear of floor, lift front forks, and place wood no. 2 across the wheel boxes under the sump plate, then wheel can hang over rear and bars twist to one side. obviously strap down as well, but obviously you cant shut the door.

Assuming the 2000KM distance is not a mis-print I can fully understand why both the trailer & van renting suggestions are not an option.

The 650GS isn't a heavy bike but it has a road presense and is fairly tall for a lightweight machine.

Height is going to be an issue as well as length so I would suggest dismantling the bike into smaller sections which will make it easier to load & transport. Remove the battery and drain all fluids then remove the front fork assembly & handlebars. To make it easier to handle and strap down you may also want to remove items likely to get damaged such as the indicators, tank etc. If it is still too bulky then remove the rear wheel, you won't be able to wheel it around but by then it will be light(!) enough to manhandle.

Have you ever considered a bike carrier on the hitch? I know you can get them for trials bikes etc. maybe a home made option for the addition weight of the 650 if you can't find one ready made. Saved breaking your back getting the bike in,the back.

I would still use a trailer, I would rather tow for 2000KM than bother taking it to bits and trying to get it through a Defenders stupidly small back door! I wouldn't want heavy bits of BMW flying around inside in an accident either.