Slack in Transfer Box?

Hey Guys,

A while back I thought I had trouble with my Diff due to slack in the transmission and a big ol' clunk when taking up drive and if you don't slip the clutch a little. I dropped the oil, no bits. Last night I dropped the diff and couldn't see anything obvious, it seems as tight now as when I fitted it nearly 12 months ago.

With it in DiffLock I can rotate the handbrake drum around 4" which I think is around 1/6th of its rotation (roughly) before the front propshaft moves. I don't think this is normal, but would be happy to be told otherwise!

Its an LT230 Transfer box on my 1996 300tdi, all standard driveline with exception to the Truetracs.

It was fine when we left the UK in January, its not so fine now after 14,000 miles in Kyrgyzstan. vehicle is on 127,000 miles and I assume original boxes. We are towing a Sankey along so that wont be helping the stress levels on the gearboxes.

G

When I had my LT230 on the bench if you locked the diff there was still about a 1/6th of a turn of play between the front and rear outputs. I believe this is normal, anyway the box is back in and I've been using it for about a year since without any problems. If you have play in the drive line I agree in that checking the gearbox output shaft to transfer box input gear would be worth a look.

Have you looked at the gearbox output shaft / transfer case input gear?

Remove the PTO cover, and slide the gear out and inspect the splines on both.

No I haven't because I don't know what I'm doing! :) Is it that easy? I may have to wait till the next opportunity to take a look. Better start looking at exploded parts diagrams before I get stranded in Mongolia.

I wonder if the play in the drive has anything to do with the rear half shafts?

Don't think so, splines look fine, truetrac splines look fine also. Im sure its somewhere between both props. UJ's are fine also :)

G

Have you checked for play between the halfshafts and the drive flanges?.

Fixed on my 300tdi.

I guess I may have to wait till it breaks to find out what it is! Hopefully it wont happen in Siberia though :(

G