Freelander 1.8 02 won't start

nige90

Friend bought an 02 Freelander extremely cheap due to head gasket failure. Chap who had it removed the engine and bought

a replacement from an MGF. He then had this engine reconditioned by a (alledged) engine shop but never got round to fitting

it.

We fitted it two weeks ago but cannot get the sod to run, it tries but that's all. All plugs are sparking and all injectors are spraying a

nice pattern. Downpipes get hot so something it happening. Pull the injectors out and hold them half way over the ports and it will

run very roughly but not rev.

This implies it's running rich to me. Changed O2 sensor, MAP, temp, cam and crank sensors and still no joy. Compression is good

and cam timing is definately correct.

Unless I'm missing something it can only be ECU. I'm a mechanic by trade BTW but am absolutely stumped.

Idle-speed control valve stuck closed? This would give the effect of an "over-choked" engine: usually at cold-start the ISCV gets opened to give extra air for a slightly faster idle: your lifting an injector is allowing extra air in.

Have you also fitted the MGF ECU or are you still using the original 1.8 Freelander one?

Sounds like everything is working but the ECU is injecting too much fuel. Which probably just means something is making it think it needs to inject more fuel. That could be a bad MAP sensor/connection, bad coolant or air temperature sensor. Go for the cheap stuff before you start swapping ECU's.