300tdi loss of power under load

marx

I have a problem with lack of power at about 2500rpm. I''ve checked hoses, fuel lines and wastegate actuator and they seem ok. Also the fuel filter is one year old and has been checked.

Steady acceleration there's no problem, but give it a bootfull there's dark grey/black smoke and feels like I'm going backwards. Any ideas, cheers

Air filter blocked or the rubber elbow coming off the turbo is collapsing internally would be the first two things I would check. If it has EGR, its worth checking that out or better still getting rid of it.

basically diesels make this real easy

excessive smoke means not enough air

but no smoke and no power mean no fuel

knowing that you can assume (dangerous i know) that its getting all the fuel it needs it just not getting the air that it needs

have you got a boost gauge fitted if so where is its feed taken from and whats it reading

can you hear any boost leaks when the engine is reved hard in neutral wooshing noise etc

could be your turbo has had it so whip of the inlet to the turbo and check for damage and excessive play

start there and see where it takes you

mat

Hose collapsing would be my bet! - though this is usually a symptom of the air filter being blocked.

As Steve says, it could be the inlet hose de-laminating - so the outside of the hose stays the same shape but the inside collapses and blocks the input.

Try disconnecting the inlet hose at the turbo and see if the problem still occurs.

If not, replace filter and possibly the hose.

Si

basically diesels make this real easy

excessive smoke means not enough air

but no smoke and no power mean no fuel

knowing that you can assume (dangerous i know) that its getting all the fuel it needs it just not getting the air that it needs

have you got a boost gauge fitted if so where is its feed taken from and whats it reading

can you hear any boost leaks when the engine is reved hard in neutral wooshing noise etc

could be your turbo has had it so whip of the inlet to the turbo and check for damage and excessive play

start there and see where it takes you

mat

Sometimes things can be a little more confused - my Tdi has a new injector pump (was fitted to a Wolf engine which was immediately cast) and had never worked. I sent it for re-timing, having worked out the timing was off, making it impossible to work on the vehicle. It runs ok now, except that another manufacturing fault means that the boost diaphragm doesn't respond to the turbo - give it full welly and the turbo spins up, but there is absolutely no smoke and acceleration is sluggish.

Anyway, in this instance, the smoke is a give away that either the engine is not getting enough air or the timing is off (too advanced if it's the fuel pump timing, cam timing could be out a tooth in either direction).

Thanks for your comments.

Took the induction air filter off and put the original back on, happy days ,it pulls like a train! It's now back to being the best 4x4xfar.

Is it possible to clean the induction filter efficiently?

Do you mean some sort of aftermarket air filter or you just changed the element? You can't clean the standard paper air filter element, you can blow it out using a compressor but it wrecks it, so if it's one of those you need to get a new one.

The standard element is p/no ESR1445, its a flat paper element like this http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/5700/104/94/ESR1445-AIR-FILTER-300-TDi.html

If it is something else then it might be washable, depends what it is, K&N etc are washable I think, but best placed in the bin anyway according to some folks ;)