Hydraulic Press

Astro_Al

Ok, I'm shopping for a press. I'm guessing there is pretty much zero tech in this - just a frame with a ram.

Bigger press = bigger ram & the frame to cope. So... eblag is showing a 30 tonner for 135 squids. Looks like the best bang for my buck. Must be floor standing.

Any suggestions / recommendations before I go for it?

Ta, Al.

Flippin 'eck - ebay, uk, hydraulic press 30 tonnes - how hard can it be, Sherlock? :P

Alright, since you insist, I'll hold your hand, but you can do your own wiping this time...:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-Ton-Industrial-Hy...1QQcmdZViewItem

(as an example, there are others).

Yeah - it does seem cheap (what is that normally a sign of... :rolleyes: ), I bet the welding is as bad as on my engine crane, but I can always beef it up a bit... :ph34r:;)

Hold on a minute! Will - you don't have a sideline making garage equipment, do you?

I hope it comes with a Safety Warne-ing...?

..God that was a bad joke. :ph34r:

Sorry. Al.

ooooooh thats a nasty one Al, anything second hand?

I know - not really my usual style tool, I prefer old well built dinosaur style, but in the end, I guess a press is fairly straightforward - it's almost worth it for the ram and steel alone, I can brace / re-fab if required. Cheap is good at the mo... Goddam 3 phase...

Nothing second hand has come up in ages, I guess people just don't get rid of them.

Hmmm. I hear you though...

Al.

Why not a 3-phase electric one then?

You just don't like it cos it has complicated 20th century coil springs for the return John...

Yeah Jez - but then I need the steel, the fab time, the parts, blah blah blah... As you know, the last thing I need is ANOTHER mini-project...

Al.

Flippin 'eck - ebay, uk, hydraulic press 30 tonnes - how hard can it be, Sherlock? :P

Alright, since you insist, I'll hold your hand, but you can do your own wiping this time...:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-Ton-Industrial-Hy...1QQcmdZViewItem

(as an example, there are others).

Yeah - it does seem cheap (what is that normally a sign of... :rolleyes: ), I bet the welding is as bad as on my engine crane, but I can always beef it up a bit... :ph34r:;)

Hold on a minute! Will - you don't have a sideline making garage equipment, do you?

I hope it comes with a Safety Warne-ing...?

..God that was a bad joke. :ph34r:

Sorry. Al.

Shhhhhhhhhhh, I'm trying to run a bussiness don't you know :P:lol:

Seriously, that looks like a bit of a dog. Cheap, badly built tools and high loads aren't good. That thing 'pinging' appart would certainly make you jump!

That thing 'pinging' appart would certainly make you jump!

Ah! Is THAT what happens when a weld breaks? Ok, thanks Will - I bow to the expert of pingy welds. :P

>"Are the springs orange by any chance?"

Don't think so John, they look a bit 'pert' - mind you, they normally take a few days to sag, so...

I need a press soon though - I've been keeping my eyes peeled, and nothing so far... Bracing it is free.

Still undecided.

Al.

I recently paid £189 for a 10 ton press so was feeling a bit miffed when I saw this....but hang on...do I not see a basic bottle jack stuck in a frame with some springs attached? :unsure:

At least mine has a proper hydraulic ram and a pressure guage...maybe I haven't been done after all! :)

Pays your money and takes your chance.

I'm betting that the "30 tonner" for £135 will not have half the push of the 10 tonner costing not a lot more. Just because it says 30 tonnes doesn't mean it will press that. And if it does then it may not do it again or there will be so much flex or distortion that it is ineffective in any case.

As with all tools. Buy wise and buy once. It will save you money in the long run. Honest.

If it's an el-cheapo "30-ton" jack in a cheapo frame then as mentioned you may only ever get 30 tonnes out of it (or even 20) once before the thing is scrap.

Mate has a big tonnage Clarke one and it's made from 10mm thick girders, the ram is actually fairly skinny but by 'eck it pushes and the pressure gauge is a handy indication of when to start swearing or running for cover :ph34r:

What's the P&P on that "flat pack" eBay jobby - if it's made of anything halfway decent I'd expect it to set you back an extra £30 to get it delivered, by which time you may as well drive to machine mart surely? (Especially if it breaks and you have to spend £30 more sending it back...)

Well, I guess you guys are right, it's not really the kind of thing I like to buy, but it is cheap...

Maybe I'll make my own from an RSJ or two...

All the used tool places I know of only have mahoosive industrial jobbers with prices to match. :(

Is there no middle ground between cheap as chips carp and mega duty industrial?

Who can source me a decent ram / manual pump & pressure guage (maybe as a package?)?

Al.

Ok I will own up and say I have one of these and it does the job I have not had any welds break, metal bend or any of the other things mentioned in this post. It just presses things, at the time it was all i could afford, and yes i did worry that it would be disposable but i have had it three years now without misshap. The ony thing I would say is that they dont come with much in the way of formers to press against and I have had to make some for myself for the jobs I do freqently such as radius arm bushes.

Yep would be nive to have one with all the bells and wistles but it does the job for less than half the price! Like an earlier post says you pay your money and take your choice.

Thanks for the input (& honesty! :P ).

Simon - who said anything about pressing bushes out?

I bought a manual pump (Jez's suggested one on eblag) (with cable crimper if anyone needs?), so I'll find some RSJ and get fabbing.

Another project on the list... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Al.