GUD ADG505 vs GUD ADG942

redcap

I believe that the only stupid question is the one not asked so here I go.

When I purchased my 1995 Defender 110 CSW with 300 Tdi engine last year, it originally had a ADG505 air filter in the air filter housing (which it fitted perfectly). Since then it has only had the specified ADG942 filter fitted.

Did the filters on my wifes newly acquired 1996 Defender 90 with 300 Tdi engine this weekend, and guess what? ADG505 air filter in the housing. Had already got the ADG942 filter so in that went.

But that got me to thinking. If both filters fit and have virtually the same dimensions, which is better? Was ADG505 supposed to be only for 200 Tdi and ADG942 only for 300 Tdi?

Any thoughts on this matter.

Redcap

Interesting, GUD Ryco use totally different Pt. #'s here, yet since they closed production in Oz last year, most of their filters come from either their NZ or SA factories.

As to the correct filter, well, western is correct, but I don't like the ESR2623 element (too restrictive IMHO) and use a Donaldson element instead. Not supposed to be for a Land Rover but fits, has the plastic turbulator to centrifuge the heavy contaminents out brefore they hit the media, has more filter area (the pleats are deeper) and appears to filter very well on our dusty roads.

Last year I fitted a GUD Z95 (V8 and tdi oil filter) and noticed the box had 'Made in Australia' printed on it. :)

A bit like sending coals to Newcastle, I thought.

Our workshop (see us at http://www.landyonline.co.za ) uses ADG505's exclusively. It has better flow than the 300tdi filter and is cheaper as well.

I have a Mantec snorkel with the tin can on top, which will centrifuge out a bit of the dust, but I was looking at the Donaldson catalogue today and I saw a centrifugal pre-filter to fit on top with a glass bowl which can be emptied. Have you had experience of these?

ps. I am the guy who just-about destroyed his 300tdi with a K&N filter (which doesn't), so I am more careful nowadays.

Jim, I've never forgotten your K&N experiences, and often use it in my anti K&N rants here. ;)

That filter you used is a Z89A here. It's a short version of a Z9. Both these are made in NZ now.

Donaldson pre-cleaners are often used here on top of snorkels. (and are almost universal fiment on most off road heavy machinery)

Donaldson and Nelson (Cummins/Fleetguard) have newer/more compact versions available, but the old glass bowl style is still very, very popular and do a very good job. Another alternative is a foam 'sock' that fits over a Safari snorkel head, (which may not fit the Mantec one) and a 'droopy' foam sock that fits inside the down tube.

Personally I prefer the glass bowl as you can see exactly how much carp has been trapped, and it is easily cleaned.

GUD's history is here

Thanks Rick for your history of GUD. It seems that the brand name has discontinued in Oz in favour of Ryco. Here, the competition for GUD is FRAM where it all came from. Fram are cheaper and (I think) poorer quality than GUD.

I have considered putting the K&N on top of the Mantec snorkel as a pre-filter (it may manage that) but it would look silly.

I'll investigate the glass bowl Donaldson filter. They all tend to be very pricey but very good...

<snip>

I have considered putting the K&N on top of the Mantec snorkel as a pre-filter (it may manage that) but it would look silly.

<snip>

:lol::lol: I thought of doing the same with those small cone type K&N's, as that's all they're good for.

My Tdi one is sitting here near my desk four years after I removed it to remind me of my folly..... :rolleyes: