Series 3 bulkhead differences.

Scooby Jim

Having looked through loads of pictures now for ideas and solutions to problems, I have noticed little things that are different on my Landy and when I look at the parts manual and other pics they confirm the other pics.

Take the gutter rail on the front of the bulkhead where the rear of the bonnet is, in the parts manual it is just above the openings for the electrical holes.

Bulkhead.jpg

And here is a pic of a Landy from Facebook.

Landystrange.jpg

Mine on the other hand is fully across the bulkhead
2012-07-26-802800x450.jpg

Is there any reason for this, or did Land Rover like changing things randomly??
And what other differences are they??

Having looked through loads of pictures now ... I have noticed little things that are different .....

Is there any reason for this, or did Land Rover like changing things randomly??

And what other differences are they??

The 'blame' is normally laid at the feet of the accountants - 'how can we make it cheaper, while spending nothing on development to make it 'better' as a result of any change?'

Are such changes random?

I'd say not, there is a justification behind them, even if users suffer.

I'm sure there are many differences, in the Series 2 Club there is a move to capture all such differences in a photographic record.

I can't say whether the Series 3 Club has a similar project on hand, but I suspect that's the most likely place to find a really detailed reply to your questions.

A 1972 catalogue is post Series 2 & 2A production; the Dec '68 S2A Parts catalogue shows the bulkhead from the cabin side, so doesn't show the guttering you use as an example.

People like Pegasus (Facebook) will have done their research before producing replica bulkheads, and they seem to show 'full width' gutters on their products.

HTH

Both of my old series 2a's had the full length gutters along the front of the bulkhead. They were 1969 and 1970, but they were both CKD exports (as were many that went to NZ) and to be honest its a real lottery what everyone ended up with from what i can tell.

My 1981 has the full length gutter, and also has a detachable transmission cover, the outer tunnel surround can be removed, leaving just the vertical bulkhead.

Made changing the engine easier!

G.