Steve Warman

300tdi turbo shutting down

Hi,

I'm looking at a disco 300tdi for sale at the moment and there are 2 problems with it.

The first is a pinhole in the rad, is this likely to be a massive issue?

The second, and more worrying for me (only driven a defender 4cyl petrol, no turbo, until now) is that the turbo apparently kicks in, gets up to speed, starts to whine a little and then shuts down

Is this likely to need a new, replacement, turbo fitted soon?

i haven't seen it yet but just thought I'd check whether it's a job that can easily be done or whether it'll cost me as much again to fix it.

thanks

Steve

to be honest, turbos arent the sort of thing that will last too much longer if they start to make untoward noises and stall.
problem being the seals may let go at any minute, which can result in the engine picking up all the oil and running off its own oil, you wont be able to switch it off or calm it down unless you stall it pretty much the second it starts to take off.

basically if a turbo lets go theres a high chance of completely buggering your engine. the pinhole in the rad depending on its size, could be repaired with some rad seal although personally i dont like to use that. otherwise you can still get replacement radiators.

think of it as the perfect time to invest in a VNT kit :ph34r:

Cheers Mikey,

I'll look into the costs of a VNT and replacement rad before I got much further with it

What exactly do you mean by shutting down?

So your right foot is on the floor, turbo spools up and then it just stops? Or it stops when you take your foot off the pedal?

Pricing up a VNT if you are going the route of an upgrade package will scare you away. If the turbo is knackered you can get them rebuilt for a reasonable cost, so don't run away yet.

HOWEVER we need more information about what is happening with the current one before writing it off, it may be something simple ......

EDIT: VNT 'kit' for a 300 TDI is 895 + Delivery + Vat .... so possibly more than the price of the Disco!

I bought a (scrap) Garrett Turbo for my 300Tdi (1996), for £80 off fleebay 4 years ago. Done 10,000 miles since... no probs.

Hi,

I'm looking at a disco 300tdi for sale at the moment and there are 2 problems with it.

The first is a pinhole in the rad, is this likely to be a massive issue?

The second, and more worrying for me (only driven a defender 4cyl petrol, no turbo, until now) is that the turbo apparently kicks in, gets up to speed, starts to whine a little and then shuts down

Is this likely to need a new, replacement, turbo fitted soon?

i haven't seen it yet but just thought I'd check whether it's a job that can easily be done or whether it'll cost me as much again to fix it.

thanks

Steve

Could this be a delaminating intercooler hose? A turbo blowing into a partially-collapsed hose will make quite a noise, and the available power will die away when the boost stops getting through to the engine...

Could be a £10 fix - but could get you £500+ off the price of the car "because it needs the turbo replacing"...

The radiator leaking is no problem, brand new replacements can be bought for cheaps, or even visit a breakers yard, theyre thousands of 300 discoverys being broken for parts.

Turbo - I agree, possibly a de-laminated turbo hose

If not, replacement turbo's are around £650 new, or £100ish second hand on ebay. ( or buy a complete new engine for 350ish, remove turbo and sell on the engine)