4x4 Sherpa

MogLite

Ive finally got my Freight-Rover 4wd sherpa up together. The transfer box had a single stick, for easy operation, but this limited your options, and also jammed easily. Ive replaced this single stick with a twin stick operation. I made up the linkages and I now have the options of: 4x4 Low/High, RWD Low/High, FWD Low/High.

Ive finally got my Freight-Rover 4wd sherpa up together. The transfer box had a single stick, for easy operation, but this limited your options, and also jammed easily. Ive replaced this single stick with a twin stick operation. I made up the linkages and I now have the options of: 4x4 Low/High, RWD Low/High, FWD Low/High.

Any pictures? :i-m_so_happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Got a few pics, although no great detail. Ive got the transfer box linkages to connect next, along with bolting bits back together. Ive changed the 4 speed box for a 5, referbed the axels and engine, Perkins Prima. This was meant to be a quick-ish job, but has dragged on a bit.

The cab showed a bit of rot in the floor and front wings, so cut out and replaced. Detail pics are lacking but will get a few more soon.

post-16925-0-23643400-1341021260_thumb.jpg

post-16925-0-10396100-1341021283_thumb.jpg

post-16925-0-79822800-1341021308_thumb.jpg

post-16925-0-51965000-1341021332_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Back in the days when of British Leyland were making/running landrover, Landrovers were built within the light commercial group, which also included Freight Rover. You'll notice the freight Rover Sherpa also carried the corporate link with other vehicles within the group with its Range Rover style grill..

As the Freight-Rover sherpa was part of the landrover group, the 4wd Sherpa version was later dropped as it conflicted with Landrover sales.

The rear pressings of the earlier Leyland Sherpa were the same as the Austin J4 but the Freight Rover K2 pictured has vertical seams as did the later LDV Pilot that followed. You could argue that the LR Defender is a penny pinching exercise with pressings that date back to 1958 series 2? If thats penny pinching, im all for it.

All you hear today is how bad the products of British Leyland were. Leyland transmissions LT, plus they were a huge exporter of commercial vehicles, the Scammell Land Train being an export only product meant that BLMC bought alot of money into the country

By the way, just to show how penny pinching our motor industry was, the rear part of a Sherpa [and the current Pilot] has exactly the same body pressings as the Austin J4, which dates from the early 1960's!! Other parts eminated from the Morris Oxford/Austin Cambridge, and from Land Rover. Standard gearbox came from the MGC.

Vehicle below built as a protype in 1984 for the Gas Board. Electricity Board almost certainly had some. They were built with a 4 speed box - the part time 4WD points towards the Series 3 front axle. Freight Rover used the 2.5 NA and TD engines, but this particular vehicle was built with a 2 litre O series engine derived from the Morris Marina.

The vehicle shown above definitely has Series front axle; also appears to have a TDi intercooler [but it could be a late conversion to a 200 TDi]. Could have been built for Harrier support for RAF [but I would have expected LHD for duty in Germany] or for Army communications - look at the roof platform.

sherpa4wheel17ad.jpg

sherpa4wheel21og.jpg

Neil

Back in the days when of British Leyland were making/running landrover, Landrovers were built within the light commercial group, which also included Freight Rover. You'll notice the freight Rover Sherpa also carried the corporate link with other vehicles within the group with its Range Rover style grill..

As the Freight-Rover sherpa was part of the landrover group, the 4wd Sherpa version was later dropped as it conflicted with Landrover sales.

The rear pressings of the earlier Leyland Sherpa were the same as the Austin J4 but the Freight Rover K2 pictured has vertical seams as did the later LDV Pilot that followed. You could argue that the LR Defender is a penny pinching exercise with pressings that date back to 1958 series 2? If thats penny pinching, im all for it.

All you hear today is how bad the products of British Leyland were. Leyland transmissions LT, plus they were a huge exporter of commercial vehicles, the Scammell Land Train being an export only product meant that BLMC bought alot of money into the country

By the way, just to show how penny pinching our motor industry was, the rear part of a Sherpa [and the current Pilot] has exactly the same body pressings as the Austin J4, which dates from the early 1960's!! Other parts eminated from the Morris Oxford/Austin Cambridge, and from Land Rover. Standard gearbox came from the MGC.

Vehicle below built as a protype in 1984 for the Gas Board. Electricity Board almost certainly had some. They were built with a 4 speed box - the part time 4WD points towards the Series 3 front axle. Freight Rover used the 2.5 NA and TD engines, but this particular vehicle was built with a 2 litre O series engine derived from the Morris Marina.

The vehicle shown above definitely has Series front axle; also appears to have a TDi intercooler [but it could be a late conversion to a 200 TDi]. Could have been built for Harrier support for RAF [but I would have expected LHD for duty in Germany] or for Army communications - look at the roof platform.

sherpa4wheel17ad.jpg

sherpa4wheel21og.jpg

Neil

• 6 years later...
On 6/30/2012 at 3:02 AM, tony109 said:

Got a few pics, although no great detail. Ive got the transfer box linkages to connect next, along with bolting bits back together. Ive changed the 4 speed box for a 5, referbed the axels and engine, Perkins Prima. This was meant to be a quick-ish job, but has dragged on a bit.

The cab showed a bit of rot in the floor and front wings, so cut out and replaced. Detail pics are lacking but will get a few more soon.

post-16925-0-23643400-1341021260_thumb.jpg

post-16925-0-10396100-1341021283_thumb.jpg

post-16925-0-79822800-1341021308_thumb.jpg

post-16925-0-51965000-1341021332_thumb.jpg

Did you finish this and do you have any mor pictures?