Early Discovery/Late Defender subwoofer box

o_teunico

Hi there,

It´s quite probable that I will have a Discovery in the next months, and I will like to have a decent ICE system.

Problem is that subwoofers take a lot of boot space. This is my idea: drilling the boots door skin and use the spare´s carrier as box. Will it work?

ALR5693.jpg

According to the www, a 12" subwoofer needs 60 litres of box volumen. In a 7 seater it´s difficult to fit a 60 litre box and maintaining the seven seats.

I could use a 20L jerrycan + doors thickness + spare carrier "box" for obtaining the 60 litres

I have to look it carefully, because I don´t want to end with a weak, crack prone, tail door

p4060414pq.jpg

Some more google search has showed that there are small subwoofers with incorporarted amplifiers, like the Pioneer TS-WX22A

p1.jpg?ct=e4beb5a2f038

This one, the WX-11A is so small that it can even be located under one of the front seats. Space problema solved :i-m_so_happy:

p1.jpg?ct=86d42cfb11c3

I have a Blaupunkt THB 200A in my disco and it does a decent job of making the soundsystem more rounded. I think it's a great compromise between size and power, and is ideal for me as I didn't want something to that would eat into the load space.

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/thb200a-speaker

The cable tie install is a bit of a bodge but to be honest it works well and was really simple.

post-26662-0-03308900-1373825493_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I note that you're aiming at a 60lt woofer cabinet for your 12" sub. This is fine if you are aiming at acoustic perfection but the majority of the time you can get away with something much smaller...getting the depth right is important though...or as close as you can get otherwise the bass will not sound right as the cone reverbs.

The MDF box I made for the 10" Rockford sub is no where near the recommended size for this size of speaker but I found that if I stuffed it with the polyester filling of a pillow I was getting nice tight bass without any 'booming' or rebound effect.
I'm not entering any 'Sound Off' competitions either but it's still a really nice sounding system with the Rockford Fosgate speakers all around and three dedicated Rockford amps.
I've since removed the CD changer and now have a dedicated Alpine iPhone head unit for all my tunes.

Let me know if you need more pictures of other parts of the system.

Regards.

Streaky.

Thanks for the advice Streaky!

No, I don´t want acoustic perfection. I just googled "subwoofer box" and found the 60 litre data, but later discovered the existance of self amplified small units that will fullfill my needs without needing too much work on the car.