What GPS mapping to use

Toughbook CF-18 running Windows XP with twice OziExplorer installed and 2 gps mouses: makes it easier to switch between 2 different types of maps.
Out of curiosity henk why not use something like XPort ( http://www.curioustech.net/xport.html ) to share the GPS and then you should only need the one mouse?

Hi,

I use a Motorola XOOM 32gb +32gb card, wifi/3g running android. For OS level mapping I use both Maverick Pro , a good program but the after sale support is laughable and AlpineQuest a superb program with good support. No maps to buy as you browse the area you intend to travel before hand and the map caches for off-line usage atomaticaly to save battery power. Having said that the XOOM battery is usualy good for between six (tested by myself) and an eight (company stated) hours.

The device is totaly solid state so no rotating discs in a hard drive to be affected by bumps or vibration.

In the images I have fitted a semi ruggedised cover from "Snugg" to protect the framework.

The best bit about the Xoom is it can be bought off the "Bay of E" for about £150 factory refurbed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311.R1.TR8.TRC0.A0.Xxoom&_nkw=motorola+xoom&_sacat=0&_from=R40

For me the Xoom MZ601is the one to get as you get both wifi and 3G connectivity so you can use a pay as you go sim card for use off the beaten track.

On top of this you can also install any one of a number of road based GPS sytems like tomtom or one of the free programs that are also very good.

See the images of the "Heath Robinson" mount I knocked up for the cab and the unit in place.

If you want any other info PM me

J

post-13733-0-88258200-1374409745_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-88320700-1374409754_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-72211100-1374409768_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-86088500-1374410390_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-99520700-1374410392_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-00400700-1374410697_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had some problems once with gpsgate in Romania so decided the year after to try with 2 mice as I always carry a reserve in anyway :)

Memory Map is ok in UK but for the rest of Europe Oziexplorer is better but that is my opinion. it is also easy to get maps from google and to calibrate them for use with Ozi with the right software

As a backup to whichever main GPS system is employed an app for your smart phone called MotionX GPS is hard to beat.

It can cache maps, record or export tracks and waypoints , send GPX files be text or e-mail, automatically post position updated to Facebook and uses either open source, Google or Bing maps. It is easy to change between coordinate systems. It's also only a few taps to find distances to waypoints, distances between two points without having to create waypoints and suchlike. The touch screen makes it all a bit more useful in real life and it's not difficult to waterproof a smart phone.

Modern smart phones such s iPhone 4s onwards and newer Samsungs have late generation chips which also use the Russian Glonass system giving vastly improved coverage and acquisition times. It's a very intuitive interface and well worth a punt for 69p or whatever an app costs these days.
I was getting better coverage in a concrete building in Iraq with my phone than I was with my Garmin GPS last year. The open source nature of the mapping meant I could download a complete street map of Kabul back when it was restricted or not available on Google. There must be a lot less satellites over the UK as the acquisition times here are longer than in the middle East for some reason.

http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/