Brake refurb time :D

Scooby Jim

Left and right should be the vehicle's point of view. So left is near side and right is off side.

Do the profiles of the drums and shoes match? If not, who made them?

The twin-leading shoe setup permits the shoes to be moved up/down vertically, during normal operation they are centralised by the drum but if they're off during setup it could give issues.

I have only ever seen the TLS cylinders fitted top/bottom. Blue box shoes?

A friend of mine bought some OEM shoes and OEM cylinders and the drums would not go over them, it was a manufacturing tolerance issue as even though all the parts were in tolerance some pairings were a no no.

I have only ever seen the TLS cylinders fitted top/bottom. Blue box shoes?

A friend of mine bought some OEM shoes and OEM cylinders and the drums would not go over them, it was a manufacturing tolerance issue as even though all the parts were in tolerance some pairings were a no no.

Yeah the TLS are top and bottom, was referring to my rears as they are at an angle, I don't see an issue personally, but you know how the purists can be.

As for Shoes they are Bearmach.

Left and right should be the vehicle's point of view. So left is near side and right is off side.

Do the profiles of the drums and shoes match? If not, who made them?

The twin-leading shoe setup permits the shoes to be moved up/down vertically, during normal operation they are centralised by the drum but if they're off during setup it could give issues.

Drums are OEM originals, and the shoes as said above are Bearmach.

I'm going to remove one shoe later and go over it and an old shoe with my digital caliper, and see whats what. And if its out I'll try and adapt as best I see, if its not out then atleast I know where on the shoe needs a haircut lol.

Very rare to get round shoes these days according to my local supplier.

I saw somewhere someone adjusting a set in a big vice recently.

Have you got any air in there pushing them out?

Thats not good :( can see mine in my vice now :(

The whole system is air, I have no fluid in the brake system at all.

Have taken 1/2 mm off the end of each shoe frame, and put the lining on the bench wire wheel, and lightly taken some of the lining back.

Now this has made a big difference to the drivers side wheel, the wheel goes around although you can hear the shoes, the passenger side is slightly better but still needs a he-man to move the wheel by hand. Going to see where I can get some Mintex shoes from, but failing that (if I have to keep these shoes) when she is running I'm going to drive her slowly as I really doubt it would take a lot for these to wear down, and then its just a matter of adjustment.

But a couple of pics from today. Only thing I haven't pictured is that I have changed the little metal locking tabs, to spring washers.

WP_20140418_004.jpg

WP_20140418_002.jpg

WP_20140418_003.jpg