series III upgrades

rpmjones

Could i borrow your various experiences to ask what is a "wish list" of improvements to my SWB 2.25NAD for general use/ greenlanes.

Seems bog standard at the mo (apart from still serious smoking when in top over 45mph dispite local service!).

parabolics seem to be mentioned a lot plus polybushes!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sell it an buy a 90 - its the easiest, most cost effective method!

Otherwise, its hard to say without knowing what you intend to use it for! Daily driver or off road play thing......etc........

I'd say there are lots - comfy seats, a heater that works, power steering, disk brakes, 5 speed gearbox the list is endless...........

Plus what sort of mechanical prowess do you have? Can you weld? Can you fabricate? Can you precision machine parts???

Jon

Parabolics & bushes & shocks will make a big difference.

Long term Jon's right - if you're not that attached to THAT vehicle then buy a 90 as they are already comfier and have disc brakes / PAS (or are very easy to upgrade).

Although if you ARE attached to it then everything's doable, it just depends on the money, time, and your skills. Before you start diving in and spending money on bling upgrades have a good look at the vehicle as it stands - is there rust that would be good to get rid of? Is anything leaking :hysterical: that should maybe be fixed? Basically any 30-year-old vehicle is going to be a bit below showroom condition so a damn good service of things like brakes and steering could be money better spend than zebra-skin seat covers and fluffy dice. Although those are damn fine upgrades B)

When you've got a solid starting point decide what you want, it's all very well saying "what should I do?" but half the suggestions people come up with may be of no use to you whatsoever. If you're not in a club, join one, and talk to people - get ideas, see what they've done and how well it works, blag a few drives in different vehicles. Then you should come away with more of an idea of what you want to do.

the 90 route has crossed my mind more than once.........and thanks jon but zero mechanical experience other than a cheque book!!

The vehicle has just had a full service/ check over and apparently a new rear crossmember required before next mot other than that the report was good.

Thanks for the seat offer bit far from W Sussex though!

Could do worse than a Range Rover, about half the price of a 90 for one in similar condition. Check for all the usual rust horrors (search this forum and others for where to prod) unless you get really serious the extra width/length won't be a problem and they're a lot more comfy.

If it's only occasional use the V8 fuel "economy" won't hurt too much either.

Er.......one thing - no mechanical knowledge.

If a tatty V8 goes bang it gets scrapped. If a tatty Tdi goes bang it gets scrapped.

Of the two the V8 is more likely to act up due to cr@p electronics, and theres more to go wrong. Anyway the saving in fuel costs would soon make it more worthwhile!

From a standard vehicle you can quite easily improve ride comfort by :-

Better seats.

Parabolic suspensision/better shocks.

While the 2.25 engine is very reliable, gear changing becomes a chore, so replace the engine and improve fuel economy at the same time. Various conversions are available, and generally come down to what you can afford.

Power steering on a series motor is do-able, but not that cheap. You can move the front crossmember forward 5-inches and fit Rangy/90 power steering, or possibly a custom-made kit.

You should ignore comments made by:-

( a ) Petrol heads/v8 owners

( b ) Those with soft pink bottoms that foolishly think that a coiler is better.

Les. :D

Could i borrow your various experiences to ask what is a "wish list" of improvements to my SWB 2.25NAD for general use/ greenlanes.

Seems bog standard at the mo (apart from still serious smoking when in top over 45mph dispite local service!).

parabolics seem to be mentioned a lot plus polybushes!

Any suggestions appreciated.

evening,

for " general use/ greenlanes " keep it as it is, it will do the job intended perfectly. ^_^

and being a cheque book mechanic, you could always use the cheque book to buy some manuals :D

...dont get a 90, keep the series and have a vehicle with more character and charm !!

cheers...

to be fair to all I am going to stick with her and see how we get on - geeting some manuals is good suggestion, however can anybody suggets where to get original handbooks for the vehicle (1979)?

If nothing else the roof rack has collected 3 pheasants recently on its travels for the pot!

ps engineer type bloke in pub yesterday suggested best way to run the NA back in after years of little use is to borrow a trailer and drive round for a week with 3 tons on bricks on it!! ie load the engine up does this make sense??

Thanks all for tips so far..........just a note to Tonks comments to give a good thrashing I did this a recently and under load the smoke cloud was visible from space! The point my mate was making is these old desiels work better when pushed very hard ie short shifting etc rather than driving like a modern revvy job?