Disco 1 model spec sheets

JimDay

No, but if you post up some photos and some general spec we can hazard a guess.

VIN number

Three or five door?

Steel or alloy wheels, what type if alloys?

Five or seven seat?

Cloth, part leather or full leather seats?

Electric seats?

Graphics on the doors and bodysides?

Roof rails?

Cheers for that "Western" how the heck did I miss the 'A' out of it have been to the link & printed the info but it still does tell me what trim / model it is ie ES etc which is what I'm trying to find out

That is a 300 series isn't it. The 300 came in around L reg didn't it.

Judging by the steel wheels, and lack of fog lights, I would say it is a base model. That could well be the S model. They had cloth seats, and not many of the extras. GS replaced the XS I think later on. I remember XS models having half leather seats with lots of landrover logos on, and vinyl stickers on the body-side below the rubbing strips. The ES had electric leather seats and body coloured Freestyle wheels.

Have you tried looking on the discovery owners club website?

At it's launch the 1995MY 300 series model line up in the UK was Base, S and ES. 1996MY had the Base, S, XS and ES. 1997 was the same as 1996MY and then with 1998MY the S model was replaced with the GS.

There's no doubt your disco with it's steel wheels and with out the side decals was the Base model but which had a long option list available, allowing the customer to choose what they required, alloy wheels, sunroofs, high end radio, front fogs etc etc. the option list didn't go as far as leather seats.

Contact the DVLA and find out the previous owner/s, it may give u an idea of what the vehicle was use for, it may have been a reps car or used on a factory site.

From the spec that looks like a base model 5 door 300Tdi with none of the factory options. It's an early 1996MY from the VIN (IIRC the 300Tdi VINs ran from about MA081xxx at the beginning of the 1995MY up to 200,000 then jumped to 500,000 and went on from there, I had a 96MY which was 512xxx and yes it's sad that I remember the VIN of a vehicle I sold twelve years ago...)

If that's the original paint it's in very good condition for one that age :)

Hi BogMonster yes as far as I know the paint is original paint code is 424 it needed a lot of TLC to get it to look like it does.

I put the VIN into the checker that "western" suggested above & it came up with the MY of 1996, the V5C has it as first registered 01/08/95

Thanks to everyone else for their input

So I have a Base Model how boring LOL, I really must get a LR badge for the front grille looks a bit naff without one could do with one for the rear door handle/number plate as that one has been damaged

I believe the Alloys I have on it now are Free Style/Tornado rims

Jim

Tornado/Freestyle is the same thing.

Tornado is the rim name, and it was most often fitted as the "Freestyle Choice" factory option pack which added 235/70R16 tyres and 7x16 Tornado rims, hence the confusion over names.

Std fit at that stage was 205/80R16 on either steels or the no-cost option was the same 205 tyres on 7x16 Castor alloys, which are the flat/square spoked design. Most vehicles had a steel spare with a plastic finisher. Later models (97/98) had the Deep Dish alloys instead.

That's different again :)

Yours are also Tornados but the two-tone version was exclusive to the ES models.

I forget what they called them in the brochure - same wheel just a different paint job and part number.

Teabag mine were the same colour as yours when I got them but they were flaking paint plus had some corrosion so I refurbed them myself & just didn't bother with the silver rim

bth_015.jpg This is what they looked like when I got them

I got the name of my wheels from this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=53665&hl=%2Bboost+%2Balloys about four post down by 'cipx2'

I should have looked at my 97/98 disco sales brochures.

Six wheels are listed:

Steel.

Freestyle Castor with the square spokes rounded inwards (P38 ish)

Sculptured, Silver or Duo-tone as fitted to some of 98MY D1s.

Freestyle Dished similar to Sculptured but in silver and with square spokes and a rounded shape cut into the spoke.

Tornado Duo-done which are fitted to my disco and as shown in JimDay pic above. :)