Should I buy ex rental Defender 110 TD5 CSW from SHB

I'd stay away to be honest. SHB service the construction industry and you only see SHB Defenders on sites which are perceived as being too much for the average jap pick-up to handle (rightly or wrongly). They also do longer term lease stuff which is probably even worse than short term hires.

Combined with the fact that everyone rags hire cars (especially on construction sites) Its not a good start. We had a couple of SHB 110's on hire and I spent many a happy day bouncing them off the rev limiter and generally not caring too much about it.

Any working vehicle tends to get seen as just a tool, there are good ex-work Defenders out there but I think they are out numbered by the dross. I have a 110 USW XS as a company car and I treat it very differently to my own Defender!

There has to be something out there less risky- especially if it's your first Defender.

On the other hand you might get a peach.

I have thought about what you said, but to counteract that I was thinking that yes they may have been driven hard but they will also have been looked after with regular servicing and repair. However I know nothing about mechanics so I am open for advice .

Is there any work that may have been carried out on the vehicle that would give any cause to stay clear ?

I looked at an Ex SHB 90 before I bought mine... It wasn't in any worse state than the others I looked at in the same age/price range.

On the other hand... at work we've hired 2 110s this year (td5) and two last year (Tdci). One broke down last year and another this year (failed trailing arm bush). I believe the bushes were britpart, given they were as shiny and new looking as the britpart Shocks on it.

Forgot to mention that this company give you a three month warranty. Hopefully if there was anything major I would discover it in that time. Also an option to take out an extended warranty if required. I am considering that option also.

I went to look at one today, bdy work was mint, under carriage in my uneducated opinion was solid, bulk head was spotless, engine was quiet, no smoke, power steering had no play whatsoever, All electrics worked fine. There was a Britpart spare on it underneath the wheel arch again uneducated guess looked like a shock absorber but not the main one if that makes sense. Please excuse my lack of knowledge here. I am fully aware that defenders are not a luxury vehicle, in fact they are an agricultural vehicle that is perfectly able to perform as a family transporter, I fully accept their imperfections and as I said previously I drove a defender, nae lived in a defender for a while during my time in the army and when I felt that door pressing against my right shoulder today it brought a lot of good memories back ! I have to thank everyone on this forum as it is invaluable, please keep your experiences and advice coming. There is obviously people on this forum who know their stuff, which is why I am here.