Aluminium bonding adhesives

As my roof panel will be dropped on vertically, 'creep' is not a problem. What is of more concern is a degree of adjustment whilst it is still 'wet' so I can ensure a bit of adjustment to keep the alignment correct before it sets.

Creep can happen horizontally as well as vertically, some adhesives remain partially "liquid" for a very long time.

VHB tape is a one shot deal, you need to be damn sure it's in the right place before you stick stuff down.

Understood. I'll have to see what I can rig up if I end up using the one-shot tape - what I'm hoping I can do is build a light wooden frame around the alloy subframe so that the final thin alloy roof sheet can drop down into exactly the correct place. Keeping little bits of rubbish from getting stuck underneath will be the challenge!

Well I got a nice call today from the local 3M rep with regard to their "bonding" products, and she's coming over for a demo session next week. hopefully she'll be having some freebies with her :D

3M rep, blimey they're like hens teeth down here...

Good luck, they are normally fascinating people to talk to... I had a 2 hour discussion about cynoacrylate (super glue) with the guy from loctite once. It reacts with water, normally there is enough in the air, but on dry days or in dry environments it won't work. Breathing on it or spit makes it work!

3M rep, blimey they're like hens teeth down here...

Good luck, they are normally fascinating people to talk to... I had a 2 hour discussion about cynoacrylate (super glue) with the guy from loctite once. It reacts with water, normally there is enough in the air, but on dry days or in dry environments it won't work. Breathing on it or spit makes it work!

We get our iso from ICI, and their reps are even less seen than 3M! We use it as the bonding chemical element in moulding bumpers and body panels.

3M Scothweld 2216BA structural aircraft adhesive.

I used to use it to bond race cars together, it's used on most aluminium/unobtanium aircraft parts including military jet skins.

Etch the surfaces and use lots of nice, carcinogenic methyl ethyl ketone to clean the oxide coating.

Lots and lots and lots of MEK, wipe clean with white paper towel to check then double check with a water bead test, then re-clean and apply adhesive.

Portions are critical, either by volume or weight, but easiest just to use both tubes entirely.

The stuff is amazing, brilliant in shear, and has flex.

3M Scothweld 2216BA structural aircraft adhesive.

I used to use it to bond race cars together, it's used on most aluminium/unobtanium aircraft parts including military jet skins.

Etch the surfaces and use lots of nice, carcinogenic methyl ethyl ketone to clean the oxide coating.

Lots and lots and lots of MEK, wipe clean with white paper towel to check then double check with a water bead test, then re-clean and apply adhesive.

Portions are critical, either by volume or weight, but easiest just to use both tubes entirely.

The stuff is amazing, brilliant in shear, and has flex.

Yes, as is MEK. Lots of our parts at work are cleaned with MEK before going through deionising.

Mav - is your rep from Aberdeen?

Aye, evidently she is, I just found an inquirey form on there UK website and filled it in, was full expecting nothing to come of it, but I got a call the following day, rather impressed.