Stage One Uprated Halfshafts. I'm getting some made.

RobotMan

Ok to keep costs down does anyone know what shaft Kam do in their aerospace range that has the longer diff splines on it? We might be able to cut or shorten slowly with lots of coolant to the correct length for a series application. I know my older Kam non areospace shafts has the shorter shaft with the extended splines fof their locker. Thoughts?? £124 each we may only need to get one side made and one machined???

Bit late,

I am just test building my RRC/Series axles to define lengths and spacers so not ready yet. I bought a set of 4 KAM halfshafts after Rakeway engineer suggested cutting them with a cutting disc in an anglegrinder so hope it goes to plan.

If my calcs don't work out (short shaft only has 60mm slines, long has 150mm) I will look at the linked company as they look good.

Bit late,

I am just test building my RRC/Series axles to define lengths and spacers so not ready yet. I bought a set of 4 KAM halfshafts after Rakeway engineer suggested cutting them with a cutting disc in an anglegrinder so hope it goes to plan.

If my calcs don't work out (short shaft only has 60mm slines, long has 150mm) I will look at the linked company as they look good.

Unfortunately it was the short one I snapped or I would have gone down this route.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself that I kept believing the local firm when they were spinning me yarns about when they would get things done for so long. Hopefully Geoff Berrisford of GB Engineering is more reliable.

From what I've read on the internet things seem pretty positive. Fingers crossed anyway.

It would be nice to get back out to play again. Apart from a run to the MOT station it hasn't moved since July.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had an update from Geoff Berrisford that my shafts have been machined and are currently in heat treatment.

Fingers crossed I should have them some time next week.

A photo of the shafts would be nice when they are done, just to see if the diameter has been 'necked' down correctly between the splines.

A photo of the shafts would be nice when they are done, just to see if the diameter has been 'necked' down correctly between the splines.

As far as I'm aware they will be.

Interestingly the Ashcroft rears aren't necked.

The broken Rakeway short front was necked.

As far as I'm aware they will be.

Interestingly the Ashcroft rears aren't necked.

The broken Rakeway short front was necked.

I originally thought Ashcroft shafts weren't necked, but Ian or Dave corrected me on that score.

Necking works if there are no machining imperfections that act as stress concentrators. Did the Rakeway shaft have a smooth finish ? And was it necked down to just below the root diameter of the splines to promote torsional flexibility?

• 5 weeks later...

I originally thought Ashcroft shafts weren't necked, but Ian or Dave corrected me on that score.

Necking works if there are no machining imperfections that act as stress concentrators. Did the Rakeway shaft have a smooth finish ? And was it necked down to just below the root diameter of the splines to promote torsional flexibility?

Bill,

I've looked at the Ashcroft rears and they are indeed necked. It is a lovely gentle sweep down away from the splines, you don't see it unless against a straight edge.

The Rakeway were smooth and necked.

And now pictures of the new GB-Engineering shafts.

post-3874-0-99000300-1387985319_thumb.jpg

post-3874-0-98267300-1387985301_thumb.jpg

post-3874-0-48635700-1387985329_thumb.jpg

They look very well machined. The bits on them are just dust from the cardboard packaging.

So far so good.

I gave them a gentle test.

post-3874-0-60736000-1387985996_thumb.jpg

post-3874-0-49435300-1387985989_thumb.jpg

I'll be testing them on far more challenging hard, grippy rocks on Sunday. Fingers crossed!

Sure does look good those new shafts. And the price seems very fair. I would love to upgrade to 24 spline in the front of the 80" I really must look into it soon. I'd really prefer to keep the U-joint though so I can quickly fill the front axle with stock parts not to get stranded. But I might just have found someone who can help me with that. And then I'll just need some custom shafts done, and GB-engineering sure seems a great possible candidate for that.

• 2 years later...