kiwi series build

I wondered about the cappings and Patina - one way round would be to strip it back to the frame and pipework and have the whole lot galv’d ... when it weathered in it would go with the patina and look like the original Landy palette 🎨 

22 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I wondered about the cappings and Patina - one way round would be to strip it back to the frame and pipework and have the whole lot galv’d ... when it weathered in it would go with the patina and look like the original Landy palette 🎨 

you can't galv a roll cage for competition as you have to drill drain holes and the galv hides bad welds so I wouldn't pass scrutineering  

• 4 weeks later...

Not much happening on this, this trip home but I had to do something lol or its not going ahead so I sorted the rear bump stops 

66787678_670904113336655_69726443758556266303972_670904216669978_160193329428955

They are bump stops from a Lada Niva and cost $7 plus post for new ones lol and are nice n soft with a long travel compared to alot of other factory options 

The second photo is with the rear axle taking the weight off the jack stands and I still have an inch of travel left on the shocks so my guess is full jounce will be around 3-4 times the sprung weight once the springs are in there so should be safe 

And yes it is made from old galv pipe lol I'm trying to use up all my offcuts and recycled steel.... I'm working towards when I can move into the new shed..... assuming I can get the council to give me permission to build one lol 

Right now onto the LS swop into my 40 series Cruiser lol 

Sometimes things just don't go to plan lol.... making brackets to hold the top of the radiator made up hammer form dies etc.... get the first one done, has the fun factor that I'm happy with so hammer out the next one, get it to the last stage adding the captive bolts and had it sitting on the bench next to the original..... lol hmmmm what should be a mirror copy.... isn't 

67107202_675106076249792_711708150609005 

Hmmmm kinda copied the first one..... that doesn't work so well given I have to weld them to each side of the roll cage X brace..... oh well there's always tomorrow night lol 

• Haha 1

The funny bit is I stopped at least twice while I was building the second bracket to make certain I bent it the right way lol yep 

But got is sorted now 

67026240_675711909522542_315713425631713

And this is them mounted up 

67419711_675712052855861_112169698499074

And a little teaser of hopefully tomorrows finished setup... the bottom mount 

67088876_675712542855812_195260670960415

I'm really enjoying this, sheet metal is wonderful to work with.... there is the whole how do I fold it with what tools I've got.... working out the sequence that makes the best use of the box n pan folder and gives me the least amount of hammer forming lol  then when it is formed its impressive how strong a bit of structure makes it and how light you can get it 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the rad mount......  took a bit longer than I thought but I'm happy 

68629969_689129301514136_239260649396371

68966646_689129588180774_550941990654364

Now just got to make up the "wing nuts" and track down where my header tank has gone that should have arrived a couple of weeks ago lol 

• 1 month later...

A wee bit more 

Mounted the radiator header tank.... still got to plumb it up to the radiator need to see what BSPT to AN fittings I can get

70934561_708022939624772_314518174458445

More 1mm sheet metal hammer forms.... having a ball with this over the top stupid stuff lol 

Heres a better shot this side was a 3 dimensional hammer form, 3 separate dies, oh and I've fitted grommets to the mounts to keep the alloy from rubbing on the steel 

70207051_708022972958102_440209289857780

Hopefully get another night in the shed tonight trying to piece together a drive shaft for the back 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My apologies to all those looking for the broken pics, with photobucket not worth using I linked to my FB didn't realize they change url's on pics to stop this.... I've now sorted another option so I'll see if Imgur is a better option 

Been a bit distracted trying to sort a number of things so I'm able to start back up with the custom stuff in the new yr, It might even include an Ultra4 chassis build

Anyway since I've been home and in the shed I had to do some more on the Toy... my home cash hadn't come through, international transfers sometimes take a while so I couldn't get the alloy for the tank but I had some sheet for the panels so started them 

uSIYt1v.jpg

eYxkBpW.jpg 

I'm currently building the rear bumper and the rest of the panels hopefully get this finished soon 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking very good. 

If you're doing an ultra4 build definitely post your progress on a build thread! I saw U4 has now made it to aus. I can't wait to see some of the builds to turn up, hopefully something a little different to the standard styles

Cheers

• Like 2

We've just had our (New Zealands) first U4 race..... was very well recieved heard from some of my Aussy mates they are keen to come for the next one... will wait n see how that pans out 

Been sitting on a few extra pic's for this build... my laptop bit the dust and then I've had a carp run at work lol good enough one night was a 10:30 finish followed by a 3 am start lol.... but I've got a bit of time today so here is the rear bumper.... tried to make it look landy but lol I don't think I've managed this one 

RgfdaHq.jpg

Lol so true its why I do what i do, just sometimes you look back and think..... "I'd be so much further if I didn't......" lol 

Here's another, I've got a few more yet..... i'll try and get them up before I head home but I've got a large job list for work 

xnssMpv.jpg

Got some more stainless wire.... catch is no one in town had any in 0.8mm on a 15kg roll lol so I'm going to have to make a reel holder to run spool gun rolls in my mig 

But anyway I got the front axle out from under the chassis... I need it gone so I can get a set of axle stands under there to work out the rear leaf springs 

t18zLRG.jpg

I'm close enough to final weight that I'm able to add weights in place of the missing components and passangers, I've added a tempory X member to clamp a leaf spring too and its just a case of adding leaves to it till I get it to take the weight at the right piont 

• Like 1