kiwi series build

You don't need a "spline cutter" I'm guessing you don't intend to cut into something thats been treated / hardened so you can get a cutter off the shelf to match your needs you might have to build an arbor depending on your mill setup..

http://tradetools.co.nz/category/KAH

What I'm talking about as a spline cutter is a carbide tipped tool holder so I can cut axle splines, these dog splines are the same profile just bigger I use "TP" series tips that are triangular.... yea I know true splines aren't shaped like that, they have curves in them, but its as close as I can get on a budget

• 2 weeks later...

A wee update, been a bit busy working on accounts and finishing off a Lada trials truck I did mention that third times the charm... yea well after all the trouble I had with finishing the extension shaft... I went and redesigned it lol found another bearing so I'm doing a dual bearing housing now this should make things alot more stable and torque resistant

So decided to do the housing first, welded up first so any warpage can be machined out

DSCF2596.jpg

A bit of luck I'll get this finished today

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't want to be working on this one (got way to may projects on the list...) but the motor from this has been sold and I pick up a new motor and trans next weekend so I'm going to have to so I can still have a toy to play with lol

I have one problem I need some help with (from the kiwi or aussy's mainly) the front drive shaft needs to be a solid shaft, getting past the trans sump is tight so I'd like some suggestions model... vehicle wise that I could source a drive shaft from... don't care about drive flanges or bolt paterns etc I'll be sorting that to fit

So far I've come up with a daihatsu rugger front shaft... unfortunately they are getting a bit hard to find

Thanks for that I'll have a chat to my Rover wrecker see if he has some thing in.... there is an efi Rangy on our version of ebay i'm guessing thats the one for solid shaft , catch is over here cats arn't required and early ones were expensive to replace so most companies just bin'd them when they replaced the exhaust

• 2 weeks later...

come up with a simple answer to the D/S issue, its something I did on a recent build a jack shaft and a floating rubber bearing mount

anyway the adapter housing is finished other than paint

DSCF2651.jpg

DSCF2652.jpg

Just working on the last part of the puzzle joining the main gearbox shaft to the commy auto, going to strip the auto down pull out the output shaft and cut it and spline it to slot into a hilux drive flange, the rover box is a bit harder as its 45mm dia where I want to spline so tomorrow Im going for a drive to have a word with the local truck wrecker see if they have a large dia fine spline drive flange

Had Chriss in yesterday wanted to have a go so left him to pull the motor and box out

DSCF2658.jpg

with them gone next bit is these X members go....

DSCF2659.jpg

I'm bringing the transmission up and I want the base level with the bottom of the chassis rails... where I can fit it I'll make a new X member to go over the top of the trans... all going to plan this will also have a bearing mount for a jack shaft for the front drive shaft (same as I've done on a surf with dual gearboxes)

This way its pretty simple to drop the trans and transfercase down on the ground

• 2 weeks later...

Chris turned up again so let him loose with the plasma.... the two X members above are gone along with the engine mounts.... next job will be to grind up the left over bits the plasma didnt remove... but I might have got a job for young chris so this job will be mine lol

Back was pinging me a bit so I decided to do some machining on the lathe, I made up the tool holder for the cutter I'm going to use to cut the dog clutch splines.... just a bit of dumb luck on our version of ebay I picked up a cutter that matches the profile of the splines

The holder tool is made from the first version of the carrier shaft lol

DSCF2676.jpg

All setup ready to mount to the mill

• 2 months later...

Lol a bog standard Lada Niva here is a pic as it arrived

startfront.jpg

I was building it to compete in the NZ national trials series, in E class, but due to my back I've had to sell it... was an advertising project for my business

The spec's on it are

Lada Niva body and rear suspension

SR20de motor from a Nissan Primera mounted between the seats

Auto front wheel drive box from an early nissan bluebird with the diff welded and drive shafts converted to stub shafts

Running out to Hilux axles that have been shaved and braced

Custom steering, brakes, front coil overs etc

I have added alot of extra strength to it as part of the deal to sell it as it is now going to be used as a club truck..... but it still is very tight in the cab lol

DSCF2737.jpg

Got to have it done within the next two weeks as that is the deadline to wind up my business lol

Did you not get 60's, 55's, 45's and 40's with fully floating rear axles over there Dan? I would never run the old non floating C clip axles, I don't care how much stronger they are than LandRover items.

lol had a C clip drop have you.... I'm using a 40 series axle but setting it up with the same setup as the hilux works on so I don't need the C clip

lol had a C clip drop have you.... I'm using a 40 series axle but setting it up with the same setup as the hilux works on so I don't need the C clip

Over the years I have known of 2 occasions where loss of a wheel due to halfshaft breakage has lead to

fatal rollovers in steep terrain. One very near tragedy when an early 45 series with C clip axles had to be abandoned in the desert when the wheel of a broken halfshaft couldn't be kept in place to allow the truck to limp along in front wheel drive. In Australia the full floating rear axle was introduced at the same time that Toyota changed from 3 to 4 speed gearboxes, circa 1975 ish.

I can't remember when they stopped here but I think it was when they stopped producing the 40/45 series, I know the floater axle was an upgrade option later in the range, they did go from coarse to fine spline tho

Funny thing, me and a mate were talking about this some time ago, we have all heard of people who have broken them..... the odd thing, nobody we know has (he is in the National trials scene) and if you push people... nobody can give a name of anyone who has

when I was younger a mate brought a 40 with a blown 350 in it...... he used to do stand still's at the lights in 4wd, he ate gearbox's, snapped transfer cases, snapped diff pinions (axle wrap on front axle) he never did a rear axle

One thing that I have noticed is we have similar stories as yours but the funny thing I noticed is when I lived in the south island the near death breakage had happened to people in the North island, now I'm up north.... apparently it happened to someone down south.....

We reckon its 4wd urban myth lol

I'd be keen to know if those ones you spoke of you were there or you can name names.... also what it took to break em lol

Me personally I'm not a big fan of full floating axles, its just so much extra weight, I prefer the idea of semi floating axles like the hilux, but we are sort of limited to 35" tyres here so the hilux style axle isn't getting stressed to breaking point lol

Would be a bit difficult to trace names of victims involved in fatal 4wd incidents going back 40 or more years, particular those related to a specific component failure. Whilst halfshaft failure may not have been that common,It must have been common enough over here in Oz for Toyota to change to full floating across the range, whilst other countries continued to get the old non flaters. A halfshaft failure only has to happen once in the wrong place at the wrong time and it's all over Red Rover. The Hilux style is fine, and a 30 spline shaft on a relatively light truck is not likely to fail very often anyway.

Chris turned up again so let him loose with the plasma.... the two X members above are gone along with the engine mounts.... next job will be to grind up the left over bits the plasma didnt remove... but I might have got a job for young chris so this job will be mine lol

Back was pinging me a bit so I decided to do some machining on the lathe, I made up the tool holder for the cutter I'm going to use to cut the dog clutch splines.... just a bit of dumb luck on our version of ebay I picked up a cutter that matches the profile of the splines

The holder tool is made from the first version of the carrier shaft lol

DSCF2676.jpg

All setup ready to mount to the mill

Slightly random question as I cant seem to find a definite answer anywhere else and with the bits you have you may know;

Does the commodore timing cover/oil pump fit onto the 3.5 V8 at all?