kiwi series build

I'd be very surprised lol but leave that one with me I'm buying a 110 with a 3.5 V8 so I'll have a look see if there is any chance.... why do you want to do this... more oil flow?

Not especially but.... The 3.8 has a nice hall effect crank angle sensor which I dont think will fit on the V8 cover, the 3.8 also gets rid of the distributor hole etc for a MS install. Im in NZ as well so the EDIS stuff isnt common, I already accidentally made a GEMS coil pack from Hyundai parts, which also appear to be the same as some of the Mitsubishi coils which are cheap and plentiful at pick a part.

• 2 months later...

Right I got a chance to work on it lol..... been doing work stay aways so haven't had a chance to get in the shed and do something for me, but I have a 2 week break between contracts so see how much I can get through

Got the Motor/trans dropped off the other day so thats sitting in the shed waiting some action

DSCF2785.jpg

Motor and trans is all good just a noisy power steer pump but I have access to some spares so all good.....

3.8L copy of the buick V6 and a 4 speed GM 700 trans

Got the landy into the working area of the shed ready to start

DSCF2784.jpg

The plan was to go back to another project (in the background) but I could help myself.....

DSCF2788.jpg

Out with the some of the bits that are in the way lol

And we have a blank-ish canvas..... still undetermined as to how much and how severe the chassis mods will be forward of the new bulk head... since my laptop crashed I haven't had CAD to play on so I'm going to do this the old fashion way... sit it all in there and see where I can place the bits that can move lol

DSCF2787.jpg

I want the front axle in front of the motor and the base of the motor and trans flush with the base of the chassis, to help this the front axle is going forward going to end up with a 102" WB..... the front axle is sitting about where the new axle will sit, I'll use the original for mock up as I have to strip the new housing down

DSCF2786.jpg

Going to move the top of the cab forward 2" to give me a bit more room in the cab for the carp you end up carrying that you don't want wet lol that is why the plasma hit the old bulkhead all of it is going to be replaced with new spanky stuff.... bugger just realised I've got to go pic up the steel for it tomorrow and its sposed to rain

Oh well

lol thanks, been a bit distracted with other things... one of those was semi sorted today.... so I can focus on this for a bit yay... put my sketch pad ideas into practice lol

Had a good mate come over and hide.... dodging a singstar afternoon lol all good with his help we got the motor out and dropped in for a fitting
Heres whats going in 127kw/288Nm V6 for those that don't know a Commy motor
DSCF2789.jpg
Got the guard sitting on there to see about wheel placement
DSCF2790.jpg
Think I'll move the Cab forward 100mm instead of 50mm this will help the front of the guards with the front tyres the 35"s will stick about an inch forward
Was absolutely pelting down today so I didn't go buy the steel.... forgot its easter friday tomorrow, bugger lol looks like it could be a dig through the steel offcuts pile to see what I can find would be cool to get the bulkhead frame in tomorrow

Looking good, what crazy ideas have you got for the front?

Almost makes me want to do some more on my series, although I think I need to start again with a series chassis instead of the cut down rangy one and leave it leaf sprung for classic rego etc

Rear drive shaft length and final position is todays job lol

I have a few things that play in my favor with this, first the rear diff is going to be a Toyota so I'll use one of the early hilux drive shafts that have the UJ spaced to handle a big range of flex.... second I'm building the rear axle to match my front (custom housing, offcenter diff head, high clearance etc) this means I'll be able to build this to relieve some of the UJ angle at the diff end

And the last cool bit is I'm going to mod the rangy drive flanges to take a hilux double carden joint.... with a little bit of work they can be made to really bend (there is a catch people miss with these and that is they are long and need a bit more distance to work)

Now this placement isn't final.... since its easter weekend nothing is open lol so about all I can work on with what I've got is the body work so this placement is so I can get the clearance height for the bulkhead X member (all my X members are going over the motor and trans)

LOL crazy ideas hmmmm they will come and trust me they will open a few eyes

Front suspension will be more of the same 1/4 elliptical.... still undecided on the figures and if I go for a reverse rate or standard (friday night drinks will sort that, got some very smart mates who are love to shoot me down lol see if they can find what I have missed)

As for your toy to keep it on classic rego all you require is the chassis as under LVVTA rules that is the vehicle id, from that point you can modify up to 40% (threshold for scratch built where you become a new vehicle)

I have a SII 109, that I am going to fit a Nissan TD27te and auto, power steering, disk brakes and modify the body to make it into a three seater camper... I'd love to add 1/4 elliptical suspension but that is too close to the 40% lol will be talking to a few certifiers when I get it in the shop see if I can find one who wouldn't mind the little bit extra

Great to see this thread back on the move, and love the 'crazy' bits... I am thinking this will also be the only SII we know of with air conditioning :hysterical: or possibly the biggest on board air compressor ever?? It might be just the perspective of that photo, but it looks huge.

Lol aircon when I don't plan on door tops.... yes it is staying for onboard air

Yesterday was frustrating lol had a measure up to confirm the motor is sitting pretty close to where it can sit... pleasantly surprised did my measure up for the bulkhead X member even that is going to fit the way I want with a bit of a mod, right time to build something

50x50x3 box to make the outter bulkhead/rollcage support.... sweet found a couple of lengths that are just long enough in the offcuts pile, put them in the bandsaw.... Now some 75x75x4 box to extend the sliders (since axle and cab are going forward)... na do have a short length of 2.2mm wall... bugger it... its only 90mm long it'll handle it, right need to cap the end some 3 or 4mm plate lol 3/4hr 5 pieces of scrap cut from the scap bin they are capped

Don't have any 75x3 flat to do the door hinge mounts or 20x20 angle to do the door security lip, already know I don't have any plate for the X member... but I have found some 4mm plate off cuts so I cut a couple of bolt pads for the rollcage mounts and drill them for M12 bolts.... go to get some nuts to weld on as captives... nope no bolts no nuts lol

end result of a whole day in the shed.... extended the slidders by 90mm, cut a few lengths of box and some plates lol woohoo oh and fri drinks pettered out since alot of the boys are heading away on holiday

Looks like I'm waiting till tues

Good to hear from ya.... you in country or swanning round the Gulf

Been a bit of a development there.... due to a number of reasons some of them from my point of view very scary! the lada wont be finished it will be going on trademe for a $1 it has to go....

That aside with a little bit of luck and coin spent today I'll have some very cool carp to show off lol

Got the word I've got another month off before the next contract..... so I went out and spent $500 on materials for the Landy lol sometimes there is no point in being sensible, once I got the sheet I started to play lol

DSCF2792.jpg

I'm enjoying this.... love making cool things I can see in my head take shape lol

Oh Ian was thinking about the lada and the landy.... both will have just about as much original vehicle.... but in the case of the landy they are all bits I cut off the lada lol Roof, windscreen chassis.... no I just realized they both still have there fuel tanks, got me wondering why I start with new vehicles....

Thats a shame, was looking forward to seeing the Lada in action. I'm finished in the Gulf now, out on a new build ship in Quebec. I tried coming round the shed when I was at home but couldn't get in lol..... Had a slight technical hitch with my range rover and a river though...........

Cant wait to see what that ridiculous lump of steel is for.... Electrics are an absolute piece of tiddle compared with he **** you do mate lol....

Try the door in the gate, Electronics lol more like electricery, black boxes of mystry plugged in the end of mess of wires.... na mate I'm doing the simple thing lol

And here is the ridiculous lump of steel..... a bulkhead X-member

DSCF2793.jpg

There is a little more tying into this yet, I suffer muppet syndrome when I get behind the wheel lol and it goes pear shaped I want this designed to survive

There is also a bit of forthought, notice the hole in the passanger side this is welded with a bit of pipe in there so I can run my winch rope

DSCF2794.jpg

This lot will be inside the cab, I'm planing on running an alloy sheet up the motor side for the bulkhead

Speaking of that, I've started making the bulkhead frame, tomorrow will be alot of work in 3mm to build the lower section for the door hinges and strengthen the box section uprights

Oh and yes I will be adding a small angle section to the box section braces so they tie into both sides of the X member skin

Got most of the rest of the bulkhead frame done today

DSCF2796.jpg

Just got to drill the door hinge mounts and throw some braces inbehind the hinges

DSCF2799.jpg

DSCF2797.jpg

Going to have a bit of late start tomorrow I've got to sort the CAD on the front suspension..... its looking more and more like I'm going to cut the chassis off at the bulkhead and space frame the front, there just isn't the room for links, springs, drive shaft, motor, wheels and a chassis hmmm

Awesome work!! Really curious how this one is going to end up!

I noticed you're using a 700r4, what transfer box is going behind it? I'm looking into grafting a 700r4 onto my turbo 3B, but with the adapter and Tcase behind it it ends up being quite long. Especially the front driveshaft ends up being huge and that restricts the available room for a chassis crossmember...

I'd love to see what you come up with, with regards to crossmember and driveshaft.

Just finished another play on CAD, there is no way I can fit all the bits and a chassis lol so it will be space framed, damm means I really want an internal brace in the top corners of that X Member hmmmm will have to have a think on this

Anyway the rough numbers on the 3 link, Anti-Dive 100,75,25% (adjustable on the axle top mount), 3.6deg of understeer would prefer oversteer but this is one of the issues of a 3 link, Roll center height will depend on the winch rope line (will be as high as the rope allows)

The adjustable anti-dive is because I am uncertain how the front end will handle due to the odd setup on the rear.... the figures are only approximate due to the fact I'm guessing CoG height and weight lol with what I'm doing I'll only find out when I'm done

A bit of tech for those interested in the 700 trans.... the common 4wd conversion over here is the Isuzu bighorn transfercase.... this has the same spline and leaves enough room to fit a decent sandwich plate, now it does have a problem... the offset for the front D/S isn't enough to clear the sump on the trans if you try and tuck it up or push your motor/trans back. So most guys that do this mod mount the trans high so the D/S won't contact (have used narrower dia shafts to lessen this, Dihatsu Rugger or RRC D/S's) but to clear it to a hilux axle the D/S needs to less than 40mm from memory

Me I'm doing something a wee bit different lol transfercase is going to be the divorced LT95 RRC one and I'm going to cut a new spline on the trans output shaft up the shaft to shorten it as much as possible (if I can do it bolt this onto the 4 bolts for the trans tailshaft housing)

to deal with the large sump on the trans I'm going to run a 2 piece D/S for the front to run it to the side of the trans

As for the trans since I'm going in there to pull the shaft I'll do some work in there, more than likely throw a rebuild performance kit in it

As well as that I'm making a new sump for it that will be 2cm deeper with a 4mm steel base.... I haven't seen any issues with these offroad oil volume wise, it is just that I'm planing on replacing the sump with a stronger unit and common sense says an extra liter is only going to help lol

Been busy on CAD sorting out the suspension there are a couple of angles there that really were proving a person I'm not that keen on to work out with the mock up and fit system lol

Got the last measure today I needed to plot the suspension

DSCF2800.jpg

The spring "set and thickness" going to be using a mix of hilux rear springs on the front.... I welded a spring seat I could clamp too, onto the outrigger clamped some springs in an jacked up till the chassis lifted out off the jack stand

This gives me an angle for the spring mount so I can fit it into the end of the chassis and position the eye where I want it

Will get some of the suspension mounts sorted but will leave off finishing till I get the joints from the UK (still waiting on postage quotes)

• Like 1