kiwi series build

Got some time to kill while I wait for my flight home for the holidays a whole month at home! 

So time to catch up all the stuff I haven't posted on this  lol 

First off the plastic fairleads, it was a bust lol just couldn't get the stuff to hold the bend, I've never tried bending something as thick as this in UHMWPE, the sheet I've bent before was easy just heat the area you want the bend in till its clear, then bend it and hold it till the colour comes back and its all good 

here's a shot showing a piece in the shed oven notice the core is still white 

m1y4gHP.jpg

So I made a jig to clamp it but this is the result 

3AtV3NV.jpg

it will bend in all good but after about 30-40 seconds it snaps, I tried more heat, preheating the jig shallower bends etc.... 30-40 seconds in pop every time, I don't know if any of you guys do this but I keep re thinking problems I can't solve lol, if you look at the second pic you can see the breaks all start from the back (flat side) so I may have an answer if I can build a heater that leaves the back still white and just bend the round side this may work..... maybe something for the future lol 

Before I finished up last time I was home I couldn't help myself i had to drop a front axle in place lol 

Built this ages ago for a truck I parted out and I kept the axle so figered why not lol 

1gXyB3M.jpg

My own version of a hi clearance diamond, hilux components custom steering arms and custom length longfields 

I've been looking at the front end suspension and well heres my thoughts 

-This buggy is sort of about proving the rear suspension so if I get "fun" with the front then I'm creating a variable that could be affecting the performace of the rear 

-While I love the variable rate of leaf springs (as springs) they are a massive weight hit, as a spring and in the mounting (1/4 eliptical is a lever so the mounting has to very strong), there is the potential to design the chassis to reduce the mounting weight but the way I've built this I just don't have that option 

-If I did do this "fun" style then I will have a bit of an issue with foot room as a leaf mount would be down where my feet are lol

So I've decided to go mainstream with air shocks and hydro bumps, so I need to make a set of corner scales..... which I've designed up while I've been away (I'll post up the design in my shop thread for anyone interested) 

• Like 1