Discovery 2 2003 Td5 Manual XS Model - Does it have a Diff Lock?

SeanLandy1stime

Hi whoever reads this. I have just bought a 2003 Discovery 2 Td5 XS model.

There is a sticker near the Hi/N/Lo selector lever which suggests it has a diff lock to the left side of the range. The lever knob itself just has Hi/Lo/N written on it. The user manual says I to engage diff lock you push the lever to the left in either Lo or Hi. I have tried this with the clutch depressed and it won't go.

I am confused from reading a lot of comments on forums etc. I am no mechanic, but I can spray WD40 underneath and wiggle the knob. I just want to know if it has a diff lock at all, or did LR just put a sticker on to make you think it has?

It should only have the sticker if it has diff lock, but who knows. They probably used whatever was lying around! It was an option on 03/04 models, but whether that vehicle has it or not, you could only tell by looking underneath. It could be seized, or not fitted, it was only ever an option and not a common one on UK vehicles I have seen, assuming you are in the UK?

I don't know if the proper difflock models have a different knob in them or not - long time since I have seen one. You can fit one from Ashcroft Transmissions.

The owners manual is probably universal for the models with and without.

My 04 plate TD5 has the sticker, but the knob doesn't match (only has Hi/Lo). I don't have difflock.

The best way to tell is to get underneath and look on top of the nose of the transfer box (where the front prop connects). If difflock is fitted, there will be a spigot sticking up there - that is the thing that engages the lock internally.

Hi, Like Reb78, my 04 has the sticker but no difflock. It relies purely on the traction control etc. Some earlier models were able to have it fitted as an afterthought but you'll need the item mentioned by Reb on the box.

HTH,

Griff

As per Reb 78's post. the only way to find out for certain in each individual case is to see/feel if it has the actuator is fitted or not.

If you give an idea of your location perhaps somebody on here may be able to help.

Peter.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice. I live in north Nottinghamshire. I will have a look underneath. Does anyone have any photos of what I am looking for from underneath the vehicle?

Seems a bit off that they put the label on without actually fitting it. Was getting quite excited that it had a diff lock too- just sold my LC Colorado which had one and it was ace.