anybody know how to remove a door panel!??

hello, the other day i went to unlock my passenger door on my defender. i used the key, and i automatically notcied there was nothing connect to the barrely on the ohter end. so i can only open it from the inside. my question is, how do you take off the door panel correctly. i tried the other day, but i couldnt get it off. i have a 1997 defender 90 LE HARDTOP. any help would be gladly appreciated.

thanx

adam :)

They are just held on with plastic poppers and a couple of rivets that you can see from the inside when the door is open (in the corners). You will break most of the poppers getting them off so get some new ones before you start!

There is a proper tool for levering away trim panels which breaks slightly less of the poppers (so only about 2/3 of them instead of 3/4...) but a big flat bladed screwdriver is as good as anything, just get it under the edge of the trim and work your way around, lifting it a bit at a time.

You might struggle (as I did) with the window winder - it's a pain to undo. Yours might just be a bolt under a plastic cap in the centre of the handle, but mine was a C shaped bit of sprung steel wire in a groove on the same plane as the door card. IIRC, it had to be either pushed or pulled so as to line up with a slot in the handle before the winder came free. carp explanation I know, but it's early.....

It will be the stupid c clip because my 1995 90 had one of those, think they came in at the start of the 300Tdis. There is a knack to getting it off which I usually forget in between the times I strip down a door and spend an hour swearing at it instead....