Penetrant sprays

reb78

I've always been a fan of Plus-Gas: when that's not available I'll mix up a brew of 50% Diesel and 50% Kerosene - which is dirt-cheap so you can afford to splash-it-on-all-over every six hours for a couple of weeks so it gets to really soak-in well.

This mix poured down the spark-plug-hole and used to fill the sump managed to free-off the piston in an old Lister 'D' that had sat in a hedge for decades with the bore full of water. A bit of 2400 wet-and-dry on the bore once we got the piston out, a new set of rings - and it ran beautifully.

If a couple of weeks of regular anointing with this brew won't free-off things then it's time for the Fire-Axe and the Big-Scary-Air-Hammer.

You can buy Plus Gas in 5l tins - eg from Lawson-his, K Supplies. I then decant it into used household spraying containers, where you can get a jet rather than a spray. I used to buy aerosols, but with the scale of the problem (ie Land Rovers) bulk is the way to go.