weird electrical problem 300tdi

Hi, my defender won't start.

I turn the key and there is a 'buzzing' sound coming from behind the dash. Opening the bonnet the relay (?) screwed to the bulkead a few inches below the windscreen vibrates away, the dash lights flicker and nothing happens!!

Any ideas?

Flat battery :)

The buzzing is all the relays dropping out as the battery voltage drops, then as the load is removed voltage rises, they come back on, off, on, off, on.... etc.

The relay you refer to will be the heater plug timer unit, buzzing for the same reason.

doh *takes foot out of mouth*

walked myself into that didnt i? arent the sticky up bits that look like their made of metal below the level of the top of the battery though? oh ok i wont win i'll go away quietly :D

Sure is takin' a long time to see if the battery is flat :rolleyes:

Sorry, had another problem, this time with BTbroadband! Thanks for the replies.

Cleaned the contacts on the relay which stopped it buzzing away as soon as the key turned - and then realised that yes, the battery was low (doh...).

Checked the earth strap, and that had come away from the chassi connection (still bolted to the gearbox though) so maybe that was compounding the problem?

Bad earths will often lead to starting problems, slow cranking etc. I had this for about two years on my old Discovery (very slow cranking, but always started so I never looked at it...) and then one day while looking at something else, I found one of the main earths broken off :rolleyes: once fixed, normal service was resumed :)

Bad earths will often lead to starting problems, slow cranking etc. I had this for about two years on my old Discovery (very slow cranking, but always started so I never looked at it...) and then one day while looking at something else, I found one of the main earths broken off :rolleyes: once fixed, normal service was resumed :)

I've actually got a lot of minor electrical glitches that seem to come and go. I'm wondering where else should I look for bad earths - which are the important ones?