Throttle body failure FL2

Dorsetfreelander

I have a 10 reg FL2 with 35K miles, last week it stopped and the AA diagnosed the fault as Throttle Body failure, they managed to get it going and I limped home. Evidently this is a common problem especially on the "eco" series that has the auto stop/start. The diagnosis was confirmed by the local LR independent garage and new item was fitted and cured the problem but I asked for the old unit and the attached photos show the source of the trouble ie that the grease seems to dry out and then you get stripped teeth on the nylon gears. It would be nice if replacement gears could be found. Has anyone any suggestions on how to source them? The unit costs £99 plus vat so would be useful as a spare in case it happens again. (or just turn off the eco function perhaps?)

post-5249-0-15862200-1375994662_thumb.jpg

post-5249-0-54675700-1375994674_thumb.jpg

My FL2 does not have the eco function, I wonder if this part is identical? i

I drive a company VW Passat with start/stop function. First thing I do, after turning the engine on, is to turn this function off - I find it annoying and I don't think it really save fuel.

Not to mention how fun it is when you have 35 degrees outside and it cuts the a/c to half...

I wonder if the eco one strips because it forces the flap to "home" - in devices like this it's common to just run the motor towards "home" (closed in this case) for a period of time that's guaranteed enough to have reset it all the way rather than add a "home" position sensor to it. If the eco is doing this every stop/start that might explain it.

Might be possible to find a gear from the likes of Anixter or someone, or you could hobby CNC machine or 3D print at a push, although 3D print would probably wear like chocolate...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I've just been through something similar to this and hence felt it useful to include my findings. Initially when I opened the body i found it full of oil! I assume there is a shaft seal which is passing, or is this the build up of vapour over time? The engine is upto 94k now on my FL2. I cleaned the residual oil, noted some wear to my gears and as a result will be replacing the gears with the aluminium replacement kit. I'll photo the process when I undertake the task.

SO here are some photos showing how to replace any broken/worn gears inside your throttle body. The kit came from ebay for around £25. I would of preferred a mechanical method of fixing the gear to the existing, but so far the super glue seems to be doing a good job. The intermediate gear was a tight fit on the shaft, and I found the hole to not quite be the 5mm required. After a gentle drilling it was still not as loose as the old, but with time hopefully it will loosen up.

I've not got to the bottom of the oil inside the body, but I did have a split hose some time ago so wonder if oil mist has built up inside. Either way, after clearing a few fault codes, and taking a long drive, I've reduced the number of faults on the ECU. I now need to look at my glowplugs - land rovers eh?!

IMG-8767.jpg

IMG-8768.jpg

IMG-8769.jpg

IMG-8770.jpg

• 1 year later...