Off Roading In Portugal

Petergg

Hi,

Any body know what the rules are for driving Off Road in Portugal? also wild Camping?

Peter

Hi Pete.

Ask Fi,

She knows loads of people in the 4x4 world in Portugal to give you the full rundown !

Sorry to hear about your bumper etc.

Lara.

While my response is not authoritative, i.e. follow at your own risk, I do have some experience. Basically, the country is pretty relaxed about offroad driving and if a trail is not gated or posted, you will generally be okay driving it. If it cuts up through a quinta, use your best judgment about following it. Virtually no rambler types and provided you are being sensible, anybody you are likely to meet on a trail is more likely to offer you something to eat than offense.

There is a well organized offroad scene in Portugal with an active Land Rover club. There's a chap who posts on here somewhat regularly who could add more but I cannot recall his handle. Put "Portugal" in search and you will find a few threads on the subject as well as probably the name of the chap I am unable to remember.

I do not know the rules on camping.

Thanks, to you both.

Julian,what Bumper have you got something planned? :D

Peter

Hi Pete,

No got the names mixed up,

Read the thread from Peter and missed the GG on the end!

Silly me,

Going to nick yours now to make the the thread correct ;)

Lara.

Spoken to Fi yet?

Hi,

Any body know what the rules are for driving Off Road in Portugal? also wild Camping?

Peter

basically like what RPR said. if the trail is public, there's no problem in using it. the only exception is during the "fire season" (summer), when some trails become prohibited to use by motor vehicles

if you find a gate, then you must assume it is private property. some trails are considered public even when they go through a private property (in cases when they are the only access to other properties, for example). some owners don't mind people crossing their lands, as long as they stay on the trail and don't scare the animals. others already had bad experiencies with off-roaders and don't allow them on their land. so, you're better clear that out first, if you really want to cross it ;)

i'm not really aware of the rules about wild camping, but the only thing i can say is: be carefull with the fire! we're not in summer anymore, but you still have to be carefull and be sure that authorities don't confuse you with some "i-like-to-see-things-burning-kind-of-guy"

if you want, i can give you some links of off-road clubs. there are many 4x4 clubs and many LR-exclusive. they're allways happy to receive new people and show the trails. by the way, there will be a "National Defenders Meeting" in Lousã (one of our off-road paradises), 21st and 22nd of this month.

i hope that helps. if you need more assistance, just ask here or send me a PM

basically like what RPR said. if the trail is public, there's no problem in using it. the only exception is during the "fire season" (summer), when some trails become prohibited to use by motor vehicles

if you find a gate, then you must assume it is private property. some trails are considered public even when they go through a private property (in cases when they are the only access to other properties, for example). some owners don't mind people crossing their lands, as long as they stay on the trail and don't scare the animals. others already had bad experiencies with off-roaders and don't allow them on their land. so, you're better clear that out first, if you really want to cross it ;)

i'm not really aware of the rules about wild camping, but the only thing i can say is: be carefull with the fire! we're not in summer anymore, but you still have to be carefull and be sure that authorities don't confuse you with some "i-like-to-see-things-burning-kind-of-guy"

if you want, i can give you some links of off-road clubs. there are many 4x4 clubs and many LR-exclusive. they're allways happy to receive new people and show the trails. by the way, there will be a "National Defenders Meeting" in Lousã (one of our off-road paradises), 21st and 22nd of this month.

i hope that helps. if you need more assistance, just ask here or send me a PM

Hi,

Thanks,

I leave AM tomorrow and will be going to Morocco 1st heading back via Portugal on the 20th to 3rd then back to Ferry on 5th Nov.

I will be doing the Lousa event in April/May.

Peter

Hi peter,

could you give me details of the Portuguese trip as am very interested in going to an event there.

Regards

Lawrence

Lawrence

Check This out. Last years web Site.

Just been told that the Lousa Event might be moved to the 1st week in November 2007.

Peter

• 12 years later...

Hello All,

I am a US citizen looking to move to Portugal. I am an avid 4x4 hobbyist and racer (completed KoH) currently living in CA.

Don't hate me, I am not a LR owner, but have a jeep and a hummer... :)

I am hoping you may still be able to assist me with advice as I have not been able to find this information anywhere.

Bsically, my question is regarding import, matriculation and service of my vehicles.

More specifically, my jeep has a 4/5' lift and sits on 37s... with a stubby bumper and narrow fenders...

what can you tell me about being able to matriculate such a modified vehicle in Portugal? if I put on some original wheels'tires could I pass the tech inspection?

is there a bumper height/ fender width / mud flap requirements in Europe that would preclude me from matriculating it?

what about the police there... would they frown upon such a vehicle and give me trouble or are they cool with it?

My jeep is all sorts of not road legal in the US as well, but the police here don't care whatsoever.

Finally, do they have the 6cyl pentastar petrol engine in Portugal that a jeep dealer could service / fix should it be necessary?

Any help would be greatly appreriated !!

haha... well there is the problem... it is highly modified.. lol... what a pain !!

thanks for all the info.. I have been on google hours and hours...

I saw that last article, I contacted a jeep guy in portugal… but he is unsure himself if it would pass inpection.

seems not too many jeeps and not too many people with experience doing it 😞

how do you guys modify your rigs in Europe and get away with it? 😞

Edited by sarig

3 hours ago, sarig said:

haha... well there is the problem... it is highly modified.. lol... what a pain !!

thanks for all the info.. I have been on google hours and hours...

I saw that last article, I contacted a jeep guy in portugal… but he is unsure himself if it would pass inpection.

seems not too many jeeps and not too many people with experience doing it 😞

By living in the UK :P 

15 hours ago, sarig said:

There are ways... most people do bolt-on mods, and swap them out once a year for the inspection. Or the highly illegal way of having two vehicles with the same VIN (not recommended), one of which goes to inspection and sits in a barn for the rest of the year. Or skip inspection altogether.

The guys in the UK are damn lucky.

The UK has fought for the freedoms it has, but I believe that some states in the US have even greater leeway to change things. I've seen US vehicles without mud guards etc, which wouldn't be legal in the UK.

The rest of the EU is much more restricted. 

I blame two reasons:

The EU commissioners, unelected politicians who set the direction of EU policy, are very influenced by the German auto industry, who are very against modification of vehicles, or even fitting parts that they don't sell or manufacture.  

About five years ago they nearly brought in EU wide legislation to ban modifications, but a campaign to stop this, led by the UK enthusiasts, was successful in killing the idea for a while.

Plus:

The rest of Europe is a lot more compliant with dictats from central authorities,  as they are from a culture of Canon, or Napoleonic code law, which can be summed up as follows:

Unless it's allowed, it's illegal.

The UK and the US follow Common law, which is basically: 

Unless it's banned, it's okay.

Which is why the Portugese authorities don't allow the freedom to mess with your own stuff.

Sorry, you'll have to dig deep to get your truck into Portugal legally. I imagine you can, but you'll have to get some special route to get it allowed, look into niche stuff, where modifications are allowed,  like farm vehicles, fire trucks, mountain rescue, etc.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:50 PM, Gazzar said:

The EU commissioners, unelected politicians who set the direction of EU policy, are very influenced by the German auto industry, who are very against modification of vehicles, or even fitting parts that they don't sell or manufacture. 

Maybe Off-topic but:

You can compare EU commisioners with your cabinet ministers, neither of them is elected.

An EU commisioner is appointed by the elected government of his country,  your cabinet ministers are appointed and may be dismissed by the monarch without notice or reason, on the advice of the prime minister.

Germany has his TUV (your MOT). A company can send products (example springs) to TUV to test and after agreement, everybody can legally add these springs on his car and pass MOT and the modification will be registered in the carpass.

In Belgium none of this exists and in principle your car should be 100% standaard otherwise you risk to fail MOT. I put polybushes on my 110 and got the remark they are 100 times better than the standard ones but not legal. For us everything should be painted in black (=looks standard) but when you buy suspension parts in the UK they are available in every fluo color you want exept black

Not going into the politics of EU - UK seems to be leaving anyway so please be kind to each other as good neighbours should be.

Each and every country in the EU has different laws and regulations, just like the US states or the Canadian Provinces do.

So, depending on where you decide to immatriculate the vehicle - not the same as importing - you will have to follow the rules set in that country. The German TüV system is actually quite warkable as you can offer your mod to a TüV approved engineer etc. and if they allow the mods it is registered with the logbook and insurance issues are not there as it is allowed.

France is not too bad.

Spain is very strict - as is Portugal.

Welcome to the old side - enjoy