cheap modifacations

gavfurn

we drove a little more "conservatively" haha, our head ORVD lecturer was on about getting a bunch of us "club execs" put on a LANTRA course to become qualified drivers and ultimately instructors, as usual though this never happened.

im always keen to improve in anything i do

(P.S. im not the driver of the purple thing :) rather the driver of the blue 88 pickup most likely plenty of mistakes made, my driving has stemmed from my acricultural upbringing but i do seem to be able to use my driving style to my advantage for the most part. but then getting stuck is the most fun part :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than starting from a "what can I bolt on cheaply" perspective, I think owners should start from a "what do I need to change" perspective. I will echo the comments above that all the kit in the word will not make you a better driver, and while accessorising and modifying may get your vehicle through some spots otherwise impassible, it may also get you stuck further into impassible sections, making recovery harder, and in extreme cases can give the owner excessive confidence that can jeopardise them and their passengers - I have seen exactly that on a highly modified vehicle driven excessively fast on an expedition, with near catastrophic consequences while simply parking up for a tea break on a mountain pass! If nothing else, all the kit without knowing how to use it will bring sneering and derision.

Spend the money on maintenance, training and then required alterations - these vehicles are designed as a compromise between many uses, but for most of us they are perfectly capably of what we want in standard guise, and LR spent tens of millions on design, testing and development to get them right; while not perfect, they don't need much improvement, and each mod will have consequences that may be unforseen (an will affect your insurance and road legality, depending on where you are).

• 2 weeks later...

A LR is a compromise, like all cars

Modifications to said LR will be a compromise.

It depends 100% on what the owner requires from the car. Personally I have spent a reasonable sum on my car, but off road wise all I really have are tyres, springs, dampers, winch and under-body protection. I've taken the time to select tyres and spring rates based on my own experience and I have quite a capable truck and even then I am contemplating less aggressive tires to reduce road noise.

Yes you can fit lockers and the rest of it if you want but it will still be based on a LR and doing so will compromise it in some sense.

On another note saying you need winches and stuff for a pay and play day is nonsense, a recovery point is all you need! Personally I stay away from those sites now, they are just designed to wreck your car!

You can learn a lot form spectating or being ballast at Light Car Club Trials - you would be surprised at just how much grip a road tyre actually has

My first 'road car' when I was 17 was a Renault 4 (the Series 1 was for trials and the bikes for trying to kill myself). It had Kleber snow tyres all round, summer or winter. For a laugh I used to drive it round RTV trials sections when we were setting up the course.