suspension kit

$(KGrHqF,!oMFELvW!Mm9BRFNZ+zthQ~~60_12.J

hi all, thinking of putting a 2" lift kit on my 1987 defender 90, only extras it has are a heavy bulbar, winch,and a alloy sump guard, so wondering which kit is best for me, after the suspension kit I will be fitting 235x85x16 a/t wheels, any ideas,something like this cheers dd

Its been covered here before, but if you are going to go off road and want to have better travel, just bolting a 2" lift on it may well make things worse.

Lift can be done in more than 1 way

The cheap way is to fit springs with F all give and higher poundgaes, the truck still weights the same so it sits higher, as the spring are high poundage you find flex is all but gone...

Longer springs same poundage - same poundage = same flex, longer = lift

longer srpings than above and softer poundages - 90s are designed to be a load carrier, so the rears can be high poundage as std. this means in std form not too much articulation, softing the spring poundages will give more flex, longer springs and softer poundages can give superior articulation.

To do this you have to decide on

What you have now and identify the springs - colour codes and lengths and poundages (there are charts to do this)

what height you wnat

what pundage you wnat

if you wnat to raise / lower front / back one side etc

then use LR90 spring calculator to see what your options are...

Genuine springs are reasonably priced, doing the above can give you lift and articulation for not much money

Then there are shocks to sort, and lots of other things you can do

Just bolting on a one size fits all 2" lift kit will give you the lift but if you are looking for "More" it can just make things worse.

If all you wnat is some lift and cleafrance for say tyres etc and looks then a kit will do it. I get the feeling may peeps shiove a 2"

llift kit on not knowing that the lifted truck they may have seen in competition / off road / doing something / looking good may

have gotten the same lift but via a vastly differing route.

Worth thinking about what you ultimately wnat and then do some searches here for info etc, if at the end of the day the kit you fancy looks

like it does all of what you wnat then buy it, but it always upsets me when I buy / spend money and then find its not "Quite" what I was hoping !!

My truck some years ago now, genuine LR springs modded for articulation and lift 34 simex and a few other mods...

http://www.fuddymuckers.co.uk/gallery/kittygrip/Suspension%20testing.wmv

The downside of doing the above is its a tad infectious and since then more mods ideas tweaks etc, now have

terrafirma +5 inch res shocks, which are IMHO amazing value for money and can be valved to suit

When I went from Hard Top to Truck cab suspension was all wrong again, in the video I had very cheap +5 procomps, later I had

Old man Emu +5 (very good vlaue) and so on....and still have ideas, most of this was either genuine springs, modified things like domeing the

washers drilling the hockey bushes, making home made turrets of a hight to give max teavel (again not just ones bought ) and to be honest

all of this was cheap as chips - prob less than a std off the shelf kit, some springs used were sourced s/h to check if my / Trevs LR90

spring calcs were correct...and then spacers made o get it to sit where I wnated it to....

FAR more work than a off the shelf kit yes...but world of difference....Red & White police spec springs all around are good for a std 90 ....as a starter

again do a search, not sure who it was here, maybe Steve G but R&Ws and some longer shocks give a bit of lift and a very good ride / flex ...

With all these "kits" you have no idea of the lengths / poundages etc....its just fit and see...and then see if it works - answer = prob "OK" but not great

another very decent kit is the Old man EMU which is at least able to see poundages and lengths etc, buy you won't beat effort thought and your own

planning to get wnat you wnat vs a std here yer go guv kit...

Right, thats been a nice outing for my anorak, pop it back in the cupboard now .. :lol:

Think and be sure of what you wnat before to commit to spending hard earned ..

Nige

Theres also the point that a lift alone probably wont help you all that much in terms of offroading, and will likely just make the vehicle less stable in most situations.

Improving articulation and thus offroad grip can be done without raising the vehicle at all.

Its been covered here before, but if you are going to go off road and want to have better travel, just bolting a 2" lift on it may well make things worse.

Lift can be done in more than 1 way

The cheap way is to fit springs with F all give and higher poundgaes, the truck still weights the same so it sits higher, as the spring are high poundage you find flex is all but gone...

Longer springs same poundage - same poundage = same flex, longer = lift

longer srpings than above and softer poundages - 90s are designed to be a load carrier, so the rears can be high poundage as std. this means in std form not too much articulation, softing the spring poundages will give more flex, longer springs and softer poundages can give superior articulation.

To do this you have to decide on

What you have now and identify the springs - colour codes and lengths and poundages (there are charts to do this)

what height you wnat

what pundage you wnat

if you wnat to raise / lower front / back one side etc

then use LR90 spring calculator to see what your options are...

Genuine springs are reasonably priced, doing the above can give you lift and articulation for not much money

Then there are shocks to sort, and lots of other things you can do

Just bolting on a one size fits all 2" lift kit will give you the lift but if you are looking for "More" it can just make things worse.

If all you wnat is some lift and cleafrance for say tyres etc and looks then a kit will do it. I get the feeling may peeps shiove a 2"

llift kit on not knowing that the lifted truck they may have seen in competition / off road / doing something / looking good may

have gotten the same lift but via a vastly differing route.

Worth thinking about what you ultimately wnat and then do some searches here for info etc, if at the end of the day the kit you fancy looks

like it does all of what you wnat then buy it, but it always upsets me when I buy / spend money and then find its not "Quite" what I was hoping !!

My truck some years ago now, genuine LR springs modded for articulation and lift 34 simex and a few other mods...

http://www.fuddymuckers.co.uk/gallery/kittygrip/Suspension testing.wmv

The downside of doing the above is its a tad infectious and since then more mods ideas tweaks etc, now have

terrafirma +5 inch res shocks, which are IMHO amazing value for money and can be valved to suit

When I went from Hard Top to Truck cab suspension was all wrong again, in the video I had very cheap +5 procomps, later I had

Old man Emu +5 (very good vlaue) and so on....and still have ideas, most of this was either genuine springs, modified things like domeing the

washers drilling the hockey bushes, making home made turrets of a hight to give max teavel (again not just ones bought ) and to be honest

all of this was cheap as chips - prob less than a std off the shelf kit, some springs used were sourced s/h to check if my / Trevs LR90

spring calcs were correct...and then spacers made o get it to sit where I wnated it to....

FAR more work than a off the shelf kit yes...but world of difference....Red & White police spec springs all around are good for a std 90 ....as a starter

again do a search, not sure who it was here, maybe Steve G but R&Ws and some longer shocks give a bit of lift and a very good ride / flex ...

With all these "kits" you have no idea of the lengths / poundages etc....its just fit and see...and then see if it works - answer = prob "OK" but not great

another very decent kit is the Old man EMU which is at least able to see poundages and lengths etc, buy you won't beat effort thought and your own

planning to get wnat you wnat vs a std here yer go guv kit...

Right, thats been a nice outing for my anorak, pop it back in the cupboard now .. :lol:

Nige

I think I should be looking at what the truck needs, rather than what I want it to look like, good reading just trying to get my head round the spring poundage all confusing for me, I do some searching as you advised, cheers dd

Nige

Nige, before you put your anorak away can I get the benefit of your experience please.

Mines a 110 SW (200 TDI) and I am fitting a winch bumper, roof tent and some other bits with the intention of doing some overland stuff. I was going to fit flatdog +1" higher poundage (=15%) springs and terrafirma big bore shocks. I will prob be doing some off roading but need the car to behave on long motorway journeys. Any thoughts?

Thanks Mark

Cant beat an old saggy RRC with soft saggy springs 1 inch from the bumpstop!

I have red whites on my 90 they are 175Lbs/inch lighter duty than std and 3 inches taller (average) free height resulting in approc 1.5/2 inch lift. Well it did and they were perfect for my winch equiped 90 hard top with enough stuff in the back for a trials comp. Now I have some rear springs I think around 190Lbs/inch but still quite tall as loaded up for comps with red whites all around the back end was too low for my liking and occasionally you'd hit the bump stop on a sleeping policeman. Baring in mind my 90 will be towing a trailer and a trials motor I fitted the stonger rear springs.

Also for what its worth save you money on shiney bling and buy hd shafts and a locker. if you feel so inclined dip you current springs in orange paint if it makes you feel good but as mention suspension needs to be thought out fully and when fitted tested fully to make sure its all A1.

The problem is the spring "Kits" they never give lbs/inch they just say HD but many different variants of a 90, 110 or indeed a 130 RRC Disco etc have massivly varying spring rates in each corner depending on use engine and or equipment fitted so hoping thaty the one they chose to paint and sell for a serious premium is actually suited to what you want is kind of like trying to win the lotto. If I had a pound for every landy with stupidly high Lbs/inch suspension painted bright colours lifting wheels offroad because the rate is so obviously too hard and then the driver/owner saying how great it is offroad I'd be able to buy myself a coupld of lockers by now. Rear end I have Procomp +2 shocks and fitted a salisbury rear axle. Baring in mind this is my nice to drive/tow motor its not doing bad. The front suspension is red whites with std shocks. Salisbury rear has a detroit and the front currently has a lockright and FWH. These are coming off for some ashcroft shafts and an open 4 pin until I get an ashlocker in there. It has 37 inch mitchelin mud tyres which are ok for ground clearance but not amazing for sideways grip nor amazing in the wet but they are an ok compromise.

If you want to know lb/in values, I believe they are quoted on the D4x4 site, for OME springs.
hi, found spring info in the archives,http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html, would anything in there suit my truck, I shoot so would need a bit of lift clearance, I also have a heavy bumper with winch,i am a builder and use my truck for work,carrying cement bricks ect, but not on a regular basis, where I shoot ground pretty uneven, its mainly road use I do, I think of 2" lift, not to many mods to do, only fitting 235x85x16x A/T after cheers dd