Bobbed and caged RRC called The "JWH"

Haha okay, I was so concentrated on wheelbase I didn't think of that :D 

Well it was removed before I sold it, and fitted to my Dad's 101 along with the PTO. The 101" has been sold since though.. Actually to the wealthiest Family in Denmark, Kirk-Christiansen behind the LEGO brand :) Not that my Dad got much out of that as he sold it to someone who straight away sold it on for a profit, in theory you can't hate people for doing that, but he told my Dad how it was his dreamcar and how he would travel the World in it, blah blah.. This sudden Growth in LR value has brought a lot of disadvantages and Profit hungry people with it. Too bad really..

Marvellous! On the subject of small, nimble, light... Can I throw four wheel steering at you as an idea? I know that screams complication, but... How about something ingeniously simple and purely mechanical? 

I've got this model, and thought it was a lovely elegant solution. Very neat being infinitely variable between full rear steer, no rear steering and crabbing. I'm tempted to have a go myself one day, but seemed appropriate to share! 

Just a thought. SorryNotSorry for planting the seed of an idea ;)

Seems a very clever way of doing it, I like the mechanical-ness of it, some old Jeeps had a steering rod going to the rear axle as well. It won't be happening on this project though, as it'll simply be to heavy and expensive to build up a steering axle to handle the job at the rear. some other time though.. :) 

12 minutes ago, Soren Frimodt said:

Seems a very clever way of doing it, I like the mechanical-ness of it, some old Jeeps had a steering rod going to the rear axle as well. It won't be happening on this project though, as it'll simply be to heavy and expensive to build up a steering axle to handle the job at the rear. some other time though.. :) 

Why build? P38 front axle upside down on the rear. Done.

once apon a time we were going to build a trailer with rear steer this way and have a hydro ram on each axle plumbed together, the front ram reacting off of the steering box and acting like a pump to push the rear ram. Not a full 1:1 ratio and we were working on a way to lock it out but it seemed doable for not big dolla

just think, the chassis would have been thicker 20years ago lol

I'm pretty sure a P38 axle wouldn't hold up in the back in stock form on 35"s though. Besides its still heavier than a non steering axle, and with 80"-88" of WB its not really necessary for my intended purpose. 

Yes it is quite amazing to think about, there's surface rust on both the inside and outside, yet still it isn't thin. Maybe its because it hasn't seen the road, and therefore salt, since '89 :o 

She's now topless! So to speak :D

WP_20171102_20_38_13_Pro.thumb.jpg.9f2128cd2c1a2a444c91e9c371597b66.jpg

Was very much a hassle to do all by myself, but with a bit of ingenuity a lot of wood-blocks I got there in the end :D Hard to believe this cage was made all the way back in '89, only 1 of the six 'legs' are slightly surface rusted on the inside of the tube. The rest are shiny like new!

Been busy with the grinder and now Her down to Gokart status ;) 

WP_20171104_17_57_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.68db4ab90456af906f0b961fca57d8ef.jpg

So tomorrow I will be able to weigh it and answer the age old question of how much a complete running RRC chassis weighs. And since I don't even know the answer yet I would like for us all to take a guess!

My own guess would probably be 850kgs, oh and just to be fair, the wheels I'm going to weigh it on is only 17kgs a piece

Whats your guess?