Bobbed and caged RRC called The "JWH"

Yep rocker and shaft wear is often quite well advanced in an RV8... Almost to the point that when you change a cam they can already have had it.

Worse on neglected engines of course.

I think Bullbar Cowboy on here made a good point at one stage, he said that once you have worn rockers/shafts not only do you lose valve lift and duration, but also your valve timing is retarded as well, so the effect on power is pretty pronounced.

I wouldn't worry about yours, it has clearly had lots of oil changes in its life, this will do a good job of flushing out the bits of cam, plus that is what the filter is for!  :)

Great stuff Guys, it got me thinking whether this could be related to another problem I've encountered on 2 occasions. The rockershaft breaking. It happened to me once and I just thought it was because I was abusing an already well worn old engine, but then it happened to my mate on his 4,6 as well and I got intrigued. The Internet told me it was a rather common problem when running at high RPM for a prolonged period of time, and you can even get some supports for the shaft. But if its worn thin at some point, it'll of course break even easier?

Yep indeed, certainly adds a stress riser, plus if you run a more aggressive cam, the force is increased quite a bit...

Easy enough to check, just remove the rockers from the shaft and check for scoring on the underside.

Oh boy has this been an busy afternoon! :D We'll start with the result of the rockershaft inspection; A bit of visible wear on, primarily the underside as suspected, but nothing deep enough that I could feel it or catch my nail on it. So decided that was okay for now.

Then I assembled, and assembled... No pictures as I was so keen on getting it started! :D Had to make sure every system was setup perfectly for the engine to fire up immediately, and be able to run for 20 mins at 2000rpm, which it did and ran smooth for the entire period. But it is rather nerve-wrecking to have an engine you just assembled scream along right next to you :D But I had hooked up both the water temp and the oil pressure gauge so I could keep a good eye on everything. I did make a little video of it running a little while after the break in:

Runs nice and smooth, with a much stronger idle and a more crisp throttle response. And as you can see a good solid oil pressure of just over 2 bars at driving temp. at first start up it was almost 4 bars for a long period and didn't drop below 3 bars during the break-in. 

So all is fine and dandy so far :) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, deep said:

Smooth!  The fan obviously chucks plenty of air...

Haha yeah I noticed it completely ruins the sound in the video :D 

So on to this weekends update then!

More paneling has been done, and it was on its very first little test drive down to my Brothers house :i-m_so_happy:

WP_20180114_15_22_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.b9e1d070295c169ab00fff5a2a6a190d.jpgWP_20180114_15_23_04_Pro.thumb.jpg.0d20854c61188661e06fe3b97a5a9814.jpgWP_20180114_15_23_13_Pro.thumb.jpg.50d7baa2a260d2391bfdcb1803fcb7fa.jpgWP_20180114_15_28_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.350cc9460a1d5f1454a5e75342dc87c7.jpgWP_20180114_15_28_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.7548747ba93bd0ee580121bb92f592b5.jpg

And just before I quit for the day, I scrounged together some gaiters for the levers and fitted a couple of cup-holders and a reversing mirror so that I can better see past the spare.

WP_20180114_17_59_03_Pro.thumb.jpg.3f6cee1b3c3e6a5d9b54211a3f9955e5.jpg

Oh and a video as usual:

• Haha 1

So then, finally my parts from Gigglepin arrived, which meant I could refurb the winch with new bearings / seals and therefore begin on the front end as I need to know where to route the winch rope, and to do this I need to fit the rope :D Didn't take any pictures of the refurb, too boring I reckon, but here's a picture of the new Albright and the sticker to prove I've been there ;) 

WP_20180115_19_56_46_Pro.thumb.jpg.00a99fa4dd604ecc30bfbed5a0f227a3.jpg

Now, onto the front end, I have a little teaser for you guys as I've been to my most holy stash to collect something:

WP_20180115_20_08_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.ea4ee3bced7d048b6e3c5ccc9eeea6b4.jpg

As you know by now I'm no rivet counter, this doesn't mean however, that I'm going to be cutting this nice original front bulkhead into pieces. I'm only going to be using the grille and emblem. And these won't be cut or modified in any way. I just thought that for such an honorable old Race cars second life, something extra special is needed ;) And seeing as I've made it 88" another Series part will only make it cooler :) 

11 hours ago, Anderzander said:

There is quite a demand for those lights through the grill panels and grills ! 😊

Thank goodness you’re not chopping it up.

Hehe yeah I know, I was able to pick it up for Pennies, so had to have it. Besides I've trimmed the one on  my 80" a fair bit to fit the PAS, so its nice to have an unmolested one, even though its older than mine, it has the T-grille as its a '52

If you've been wondering why there was no update yesterday, its because I've run into my first real crisis on this project :( No matter which configuration Series grilles and paneling I try I just can't seem to find a design of front end that I like..

This was, I think the one with the most potential but I just don't have any depth where the lights go because of the radiator so not even my quite slim LEDs look nice. And without lights a grille with cutouts for them, or a 'T' shaped grille for that matter, is rather pointless.

WP_20180116_20_40_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.d12374436192666b9f1fe784d5687ca0.jpg

But anyway today I moved on to fairlead mounting, and here's how that's going to be:

WP_20180117_20_17_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.8de8da9524f39e3ebf9919de49232b01.jpg

Sits rather high, but I knew I had to do that because of the shape of the chassis/spring mount. Will work fine I'm sure, it's just that the lower it is the easier it is for the winch to drag the vehicle over the top of a hill. But it was equally high up on the single-seater with the 8274 and that worked fine :) 

10 hours ago, miketomcat said:

How about turning the grill upside down.

Mike

Hmm might look a bit odd?

8 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Or a Maltese cross grille and put the lights further out past the radiator? 

Did consider that, but I need tp bend it quite a lot to follow the curveture of the front, and I don't think I can bend the plastic one that much. So the SIIA version would be perfect but they don't actually hang from the trees.. That said though, my Dad has one on his 109" so I could just make a copy, doesn't have to be original for this project

Indeed, was my original intention to just make something myself, in fact I wanted to make it just like the front of the Single-Seater with one big HD mesh and the lights behind it. But then I had this dream of using the S1 grille, just for kicks. But if I can't use that everything is an option really.. But please keep the ideas coming, sometimes you stare yourself blind :) 

9 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Going to SIII-look at this rate :) 

Seems so yes :D 

Got the fair-lead mount buttoned up. Then bent up a piece of Ali to act as a heatshield to protect the Plasma12. When under load it will get nowhere near the manifolds, but when spooling up with no load, who knows what a winch-rope does! :D 

WP_20180118_20_03_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.ac953f4c01f56ab4a3669e0985386103.jpg

WP_20180118_20_06_11_Pro.thumb.jpg.c3c4d2cc5e2b170d17b32de18ac3ce92.jpgWP_20180118_20_06_11_Pro.thumb.jpg.c3c4d2cc5e2b170d17b32de18ac3ce92.jpg

made it so I can still get to the sparkplugs without having to remove it,  pretty sure I'll appreciate that at some point :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing a lot of TLC lately, with oil changes, tierod-ends etc etc. So nothing really exciting.. Today I made a shroud for the top of the fan though. Was a true accident waiting to happen the way it stuck out :o 

WP_20180131_20_05_04_Pro.thumb.jpg.eb4b8d62d781604311b6a645299958cd.jpg

WP_20180131_20_11_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.2cdd01127afbf085497a08455a2f05f9.jpg

Still need to decide the color of the bonnet (but probably black) and what to do with the front grille, looking around for a decent sheet of something stainless and hole-y to make it out off :D