Bobbed and caged RRC called The "JWH"

10 hours ago, deep said:

The wire mesh grille from a Stage One V8 would be the perfect match?  I have a spare but, by the time it shipped over there, you'd have built another three cars...

Haha I'm not that fast :D Yes that would be cool, and along those lines I was thinking about a simple stainless grille for a Defender. But I just still think that I'd rather have mesh that covers the width of the front and not just the radiator? It would of course suffice, but from a 'design perspective'? :) 

Ah well, I can't help with that.  Anything I make has to meet two criteria: the materials are lying around already or are super cheap; and it has to be functional.  If it happens to look ok, that's just a happy coincidence!  Like anything Land Rover, functional usually does end up looking quite good...

1 hour ago, deep said:

Ah well, I can't help with that.  Anything I make has to meet two criteria: the materials are lying around already or are super cheap; and it has to be functional.  If it happens to look ok, that's just a happy coincidence!  Like anything Land Rover, functional usually does end up looking quite good...

Wise words mate!

• Like 1

Time for an update don't you think? Made myself a nice little twin-cylinder compressor for the front locker and airing up tyres, to fit in the storage box in the back:

WP_20180207_20_00_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.f1824ba30f2ffa67b8aac4afe376b0ff.jpg

As you can see its just held in with a strap and is connected via Croc-clips and the Danish standard air coupling so that I can take it out and use it elsewhere if needs be. But if I just need to air up my own car or one next to mine I've fitted it so high up its easy to reach with the lid open:

WP_20180207_20_03_39_Pro.thumb.jpg.aac1ad72489bc69c6f15b433b4ad16f4.jpg

Also hooked up the rest of the line to the front locker so that's ready to go :) Slowly but surely nearing the end :i-m_so_happy:

Continued on with the small things, made a divider for the storage box so the shackles etc don't slide over to the battery:

WP_20180211_14_54_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.498dea38b8c6ba05854f29e50dc9b29f.jpg

Then I ran a breather pipe from the rear axle to the cage (no pics sorry) And welded a tow-eye to the front, opposite of the winch so the lines won't tangle if I need to use my snatch block:

WP_20180211_14_50_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.00cb89f5116bed2b95f3bbc24313a635.jpg

I then painted the bonnet and fitted a small toolbox on the transmission tunnel (another one of those things carried over from the JWH RRC body) and got it all stickered up with the rest of Gigglepin stickers I got from my last order:

WP_20180211_14_49_12_Pro.thumb.jpg.731841489bfe0afc890841df48c83c33.jpg

As you can see the bl**dy Cat decided to walk all over my freshly painted bonnet :angry2: Thankfully it needs another coat anyways so hope I can cover it up!

10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Well that's the least worst choice of carbs I guess ;):)

Haha you just had to put it out there huh? :D Well I have another argument against your beloved EFI, weight! I bet you these carbs weigh no more than the ECU and wiring harness alone, they are incredibly lightweight, oh and if my fuelpump fails and I don't have a replacement I can just put a Jeryy can on the roof and let gravity feed my carbs, try running an EFI system on that pressure :P Come oin, what'cha got?? :D:D 

Lol. Can't give up the carbs, huh? I don't blame you, they are delicious do have a certain charm. You ought to take the plunge and give MS a go on one of your projects, though. It's really quite fun to set up, even though it doesn't actually flash *DANGER TO MANIFOLD" warnings on the laptop screen when you're giving it some right foot and too much nitrous...

Looking good. 

You get me wrong Soren, I love SUs ;) The most simple, effective, tunable mechanical fuelling devices I have ever played with. 2.25's absolutely love them, and having had various A-series engined cars over the years, I have grown very fond of them.

I'm not sure a plenum + EFI inlet manifold will be any different in weight compared to the brick the SUs bolt to plus their inlet... but happy to be corrected :) An MS EFI loom can be very light, especially when made with the thinwall wires.

All silliness aside, I prefer a couple for kilos extra and carrying an EFI fuel pump to gain me about 30 horses ;) 

...and as -lo-fi says (despite his name) MS is a great way to fuel stuff :)

Keep it coming Soren, love the evolution of this.

13 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

It's really quite fun to set up, even though it doesn't actually flash *DANGER TO MANIFOLD" warnings on the laptop screen when you're giving it some right foot and too much nitrous...

It doesn't?? Then whats the point? :D 

9 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

You get me wrong Soren, I love SUs ;) The most simple, effective, tunable mechanical fuelling devices I have ever played with. 2.25's absolutely love them, and having had various A-series engined cars over the years, I have grown very fond of them.

I'm not sure a plenum + EFI inlet manifold will be any different in weight compared to the brick the SUs bolt to plus their inlet... but happy to be corrected :) An MS EFI loom can be very light, especially when made with the thinwall wires.

All silliness aside, I prefer a couple for kilos extra and carrying an EFI fuel pump to gain me about 30 horses ;) 

...and as -lo-fi says (despite his name) MS is a great way to fuel stuff :)

Keep it coming Soren, love the evolution of this.

Haha yeah we're obviously all just having a laugh, And I actually do have quite some experience with EFI, though not MS. Way back when I was an apprentice as Motocycle Mechanic a classmate and I was given a GSX-R 750 and a Wolf3D ECU and told to go to town and see how much extra HP/NM we could gain by fitting that instead of the factory ECU. Was GREAT fun and really loved the challenge and the learning. Taught me a lot, also about how an engine Works. We even had to amplify the signal from the Cam Sensor to make it Work so it was quite a challenge as a 19 year old apprentice. So I can really appreciate the Nerdy-ness about it and how that is great fun. And if I was a street/track racer I'm sure I would dive into it. But in an offroad environment where there is plenty else to use electrical power, and to have problems with Water ingress I really appreciate carbs.

Now I just hope these SU's are in good nick, they look so good that I'm just going toslap them on there and try it. If they run terribly I'll have to take them apart and rebuild them

Got the SU's on yesterday, but it ran Pig-rich. Now this didn't come as a surprise as I have been down this road before with SU's that hadn't run for a while. There's an O-ring on each of the chokes that gets hard, and wears down which allows fuel to just flush by. A 10 min job and a couple of universal O-rings and we are good to go. Sadly though it fouled my plugs up so bad it can only go to about 2/3s throttle before it backfires like a cannon :D So got the Idle roughly adjusted, that's all I can do for now, I don't only need a new set of plugs but I'm also missing an air filter elbow (which I should get Saturday)

WP_20180220_19_35_07_Pro.thumb.jpg.ec6b2ea5f9b51bff70fe6a896bcf0782.jpg

Stole the elbow from the 80" so I could get everything assembled properly. The choke cable has a weird routing on the SU's where it points straight up into the bonnet. So had to put a piece of rubber line on the outside of the cable where it'll rub against the bonnet:

WP_20180221_19_40_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.b9cd91b3dfd791d9eef4c406d4e7a5df.jpg

Looks all dirty and factory fitted :D I haven't decided whether to fit a snorkel just yet.. The problem is that the front mounted dizzy hates water anyways so I'll probably never be able to drown it. But there is of course the issue of spray.. And the inlet does point straight ahead.. Hmm... 

Try to find a Mallory optical distributor.  I used one for a while on a Range Rover and it would burble along happily fully submerged!  Having said that, the distributor I had on my Stage One never missed a beat on river crossings (heavy dousings but never submerged).  It was an electronic one off a 3.9 though.

11 hours ago, deep said:

Try to find a Mallory optical distributor.  I used one for a while on a Range Rover and it would burble along happily fully submerged!  Having said that, the distributor I had on my Stage One never missed a beat on river crossings (heavy dousings but never submerged).  It was an electronic one off a 3.9 though.

I feel like when everything is brand new and assembled with silicon grease it Works very well in water reagardless if its points or optical (in the JWH its an optical afermarket thing in the stock Dizzy) But at some point when you've done a full days worth of wading, damp will come from the crankcase and travel up through the shaft in the Dizzy and end in the cap. Perhaps the Mallory has a proper seal on the shaft? Or is it just because its so 'new' and tight toleranced that it isn't a problem you think?

I could of course go EDIS/megajolt and keep my beloved carbs :) 

Well, that's your problem, right there.  You need an older motor so it pressurises its crankcase and keeps the damp out!

Seriously, though, I have never heard of moisture getting in that way.  Wow.  Actually, I have a friend who has a bleed off his air pressure system that lightly pressurises the distributor and one or two other vulnerable engine bits.  It's a clever idea which seems to work.

I think the optical distributor is just capable of working with some water in it because there is no electrical tracking to worry about.  In any case, I have found a wet coil is far more likely to cause problems than a wet dizzy with a variety of engines, though, with some vehicles, I used to give a good spray of CRC at the start of any river expedition.  Not with my current 110.  I can't find the distributor anywhere on that motor...

Edited by deep

Haha I think it makes plenty of crankcase pressure! :D My Brother once pressurized the dizzy on a V8 as well with good results, but as you say the problem is often a lead getting wet and throwing the spark elsewhere, which is what I meant about it working quite well when everything is brand new. Anyways I know full well that the V8 (and Petrols in general) aren't the best for wading, and I'll gladly admit that had a 200tdi not been so heavy I wouldn't mind having one in this particular vehicle.

Speaking of the joys of Petrol engines, The weirdest thing happen today. Never before have I had to advance the ignition after a Carb swap, and especially not 8 degrees! :o Just couldn't get it to stop sputtering and backfiring when revving up, I tried everything, and the more fuel I gave it the better it was, but then it was way too rich to idle.. So decided that somehow something was up with the ignition, must've broken by coincidence whilst I swapped carbs.. Found a bit of moisture in the dizzy, dried it out to no avail. Then thought sod it, I'll try advancing it a bit just to see, and boy did it like that!! So ended up advancing 8 degrees more total and this allowed me to turn the fuel way back down and get a nice crisp throttle response and idle :i-m_so_happy:

Well I guess you learn something new everyday :D 

• Like 1

Took the day off today so got a lot done. Starting with the fabbing of a front bush-bar/nose-bar/bull-bar or whatever you wish to call it :D  Had realized that the radiator was way to vulnerable at the top as it sticks out a bit further from the front than the tubing, and I also needed a place to put the Winch-Line where it would be easy to reach. And finally it had to be removable for engine swapping:

WP_20180223_10_12_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.e0404ff72860426aac9777604a8ae4f6.jpgWP_20180223_11_02_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.b6c2eb605c0d05d8f710f71849b5f810.jpgWP_20180223_11_29_29_Pro.thumb.jpg.b60f2583078515ec8206404f55236058.jpgWP_20180223_11_29_50_Pro.thumb.jpg.cf6cdf0968b3e6e51ec6964f9ac1ef34.jpg

After that I drove out to my welder and told him to give it the usual treatment :) I then moved on to fitting some arches I had laying around just to stop the some of the mud before it hits my face :D 

WP_20180223_16_46_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.c366efa3b0e3d2ab318f92b15413f1ef.jpgWP_20180223_16_44_12_Pro.thumb.jpg.0849c3df85a1004f8e5943ec507e8591.jpg

And finally some poser-pics in the lovely Sunshine:

WP_20180223_16_39_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.6b94588820e876050119b010ce5951ab.jpgWP_20180223_16_39_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.f36b0ad6ba8043484835a41ecc163ea5.jpgWP_20180223_16_39_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.8c4760fe31f2ec034f2c4ccf2ca56744.jpgWP_20180223_16_38_46_Pro.thumb.jpg.948569beacff42e5e9bf067602fd17c2.jpg

Edited by Soren Frimodt
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not that much progress in the shed these days. With the same Siberian winds hitting us as you guys, everything is frozen solid.

Some useful stuff has been done though, one 5 minute job was flipping the filterbox so the snout points at the firewall which should greatly reduce the possibility of water splashing into, and soaking the paperfilters when speeding through water sections:

WP_20180303_19_28_55_Pro.thumb.jpg.200f57e18d75e2af02c6672107764e3d.jpg

Also, remember how I was moaning about SU's being hard to find? Well now I'm almost swimming in them, got this nice oldschool pair today with the remote bowls, will refurb them and maybe fit them next winter as they have a couple of benefits to the later ones I have fitted now (easier to clean in the field and less heat around the bowls)

WP_20180303_19_23_56_Pro.thumb.jpg.88b0d4e9daaff1ffe281c8b5f19f477d.jpg

Right now its parked up as I have some jobs to do on the 80" and this gave me an opportunity to take a picture with the small wheels I have fitted now for better access. For what it is it actually doesn't look half bad on these little 265's it would make a great trialler like this!

WP_20180303_20_13_33_Pro.thumb.jpg.0d0fc146d77448dcc4f5cc974e87dd4d.jpg

Edited by Soren Frimodt
  • Like 1