4.0 Mega squirt and Auto Tranny

BCDisco2

First of hello as I am new to this forum and own a 99 Disco2,

I am thinking of running Megasquirt on my 4.0 D2 but have the auto gear box. I have gone through the wiring and sensor schematics and this is one very complicated tranny but, maybe it really isn't.

What I am looking for is the inputs or signals the tranny is using to shift and lock up and from what I can see most come atleast from the ECU. I f I can leave those inputs to the tranny and just control the engine off of the MS system it just might work.

Have any of you run the auto tranny while on the MS system and had success?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed.

Thanks

Christopher

Oooooooooooo This is a huge "Box of Frogs"

PERSONALLY, one of the key benifits of MS is to remove the Lucas / old tec / tune to engine requirments etc etc

So, with the ZH24 Gearbox being controlled by the ECU, adding MS IMHO is adding another layer of technology, and complexity and therefore increasing future nightmares

With the ZF22 cable operated gearbox the MS conversion is superb, but personally I would think very long and hard about MS a 4.0 and having the old system still

there just to control the Autobox

I will be very interested in the thoughts of other forum members, at the moment unless I am proved wrong, or someone has a great idea then I wouldn't go MS

One option, would be to Go MS on the engine and Compushift on the Autobox from Ashcroft Transmissions, but the choice ultimately is yours.

Lasly if you do decide to go and MS your truck, I would suggest whatever is removed is stored carefully so that you can if need be return it to standard...

lets see what others thoughts are

Nige

The other choice is going MS2, and integrating it with MegaShift, which is an auto transmission controller. You need to know a few parameters about the gearbox, but once set up you can tweak change points, lock up, first gear locks etc, very flexible.

Here's a bit of info: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L60e.html

And... the info you need: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/newtrans.html

I am pretty someone has done the HP24 already, in Germany, but couldn't be absolutely sure...

The board is dirt cheap: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/gpio-application-kit-megashift-p-404.html

I too wouldn't consider running the old ECU alongside MS, just adds to failure modes...

Failing all that, you can get a mechanical HP22 box, stuffed with HP24 bits from Ashcroft, but they are not cheap.

Actually, one last option, I run a tuned 4.0l in front of a stock RRC HP22 box, which is mechanical, and it has been fine, even at over 100K.

If you can reverse engineer how the gearbox is working it might be quite simple to control it - first stop is to work out if it's CANbus or something else, then see if you can intercept/decode the signals. Microcontrollers are cheap enough these days, and a BusPirate is a very handy tool which could get you into the CANBus quite easily.

It will depend how obfuscated the system is, how tied-in it is with other systems, and how nasty any security features are.

MS2 has CANbus capability so you might be able to program it to keep the box happy, or you might be able to use a standalone box to control the gearbox independently.

I looked into the MS2 CANbus support a while ago... they advertise it as being only for communicating with other boards (megashift etc) in their own dialect.

I'm not sure how easy it'd be, if it's the Bosch system with 4HP24 (which it probably is, don't think the D2 ever had GEMS) there's quite a bit of information sent over the CANbus. It's somewhat described in the RAVE.

But really, why do you need MS? The Bosch system works pretty well.