V8 conversion

Why do you specifically want an LT85?Defender (tdi) R380 would need some fiddling with to fit the V8, namely the spigot bearing on the TDI box is larger, so you'd have to machine the spigot on the engine out to the same size as the TDI shaft.In your situation, your best bet is to buy something like the disco you linked, and drop the entire engine/box/transfer case into your defender.Either swap the selector shaft, or buy the little adaptor piece (which saves you stripping the box down!), and fit a defender selector turret and your sorted.Adaptor is here: http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=375'>http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=375

Thanks for the help will keep my eyes out for a perfect donar and book mark that adaptor! Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

A little off-topic I know, but I am looking for a RV8 to put in my Ford Ranger.

I am going to buy a Disco with LPG already fitted and swap the engine/autobox/LPG kit over.

The only thing I am worried about is the electrical side, can the 3.9 and 4.0 engines be made to run in a difference vehicle?

Its likey to be a 90's model so those two engines are most likey. Would ideally have a 3.5 on carbs, but am not going to find one of those with LPG for cheap.

Thanks

• 5 years later...

Similar situation to the OP.

200tdi, lt77 and looking to convert to V8.

Would one of these bell housings on the lt77 push the V8 suitably far forward, clear of bulkhead leaving the gearbox and props as existing etc ...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273672070185

You will need to strip the gearbox and fit the longer first motion shaft too with a lt77 - and it will still be 2" too far back due to the gearbox/transfer box position - although if you weld on new engine mounts in a different position it will work. Plenty on here about it. IF you were going old school - 3.5 v8 lt85 gearbox 29D lt230 plus different propshafts - and make sure you get the right v8 gearbox mountings . There are other parts you can use no doubt someone else will say. Good luck.

Barrie

• 4 years later...

Hi all, I’m buying my first 90 - 2.5td  I’m quite handy at body and interior finishes and getting things to look the part. And although I can do a bit mechanically I’m struggling with / deciding which engine is best to upgrade through lack knowledge of what will fit, integrating a new gear box, wiring and ecu. My issue is if I go v8 rover the running costs will be crazy high and I need a daily user to commute and if I upgrade to the 300 tdi Let’s face it all they are painfully slow. Any diesel old school German  3ltr D engines (bmw/Mercedes’) worth fitting ?   granted I accept I will have to change the diff, transfer box and probably go auto, I guess for me is to keep it simple old school diesel with little ecu integration. Any ideas or advice ? I was thinking old E, vito, sprinter 3d ? 

2 hours ago, Ed Earl said:

Hi all, I’m buying my first 90 - 2.5td  I’m quite handy at body and interior finishes and getting things to look the part. And although I can do a bit mechanically I’m struggling with / deciding which engine is best to upgrade through lack knowledge of what will fit, integrating a new gear box, wiring and ecu. My issue is if I go v8 rover the running costs will be crazy high and I need a daily user to commute and if I upgrade to the 300 tdi Let’s face it all they are painfully slow. Any diesel old school German  3ltr D engines (bmw/Mercedes’) worth fitting ?   granted I accept I will have to change the diff, transfer box and probably go auto, I guess for me is to keep it simple old school diesel with little ecu integration. Any ideas or advice ? I was thinking old E, vito, sprinter 3d ? 

Hi Ed. I’d suggest starting a new topic for your project, and people will be very happy to weigh in with opinion on different engines.

There are a few options along the line of what you are thinking. The Mercedes OM606 is a popular one. 

2 hours ago, Ed Earl said:

Tbh that is quite a big question. And really comes down to how much you want to spend Vs what your end goals are. 

The old 2.5 TD lump really isn’t that bad either. Ok you won’t win any traffic light Grand Prix’s with it. But it should quite happily keep up with modern traffic and cruise at 65mph no problem. 

If you live in hilly areas such as Wales, the TD will feel really very good. Lots of grunt and torque. Where they tend to feel slower is on bigger open A roads and bypass style routes. The TD’s don’t tend to take to being thrashed though. 

A 200 Tdi is the easiest bolt in swap. Although there is still plenty to do. But way less than any other engine swap. Less refined than a TD but a reasonable performance hike. At least in Land Rover terms. 

Other swaps will be more involved. Lots of choices. And no need to go with an automatic. 

It is certainly worth starting a thread for more detailed info. As there are lots on here with experience of engine swaps. 

The first issue to consider before you decide on a specific engine is fuel type.  Yes, a V8 is a bit thirsty as you said, but now most towns and cities are seeing diesels as an easy target for BS “environmental levies”, so if you drive a lot in built up areas, a V8 might be a better option financially and convenience (as a Tdi owner, I would never dispute that a V8 is a much nicer engine, it is practicality that varies).  I don’t see life getting easier for diesel drivers in the near future, but the same stigma and costs will eventually be pressed on petrol too.  So, depending on your usage, that is your first decisive step.