300TDi sudden knocking

Other than the knocking - are there any other symptoms of Big End wear?

I have a very similar knock on my 200tdi. I have not worked through all the checks on lump pump, vac pump etc etc but wondering if I can narrow it down any further?

It drives fine, with plenty of power.

The only other 2 issues that may or may not be related are

1. the battery light does not go out when idling, even with little load and it only when it gets its 1st rev that is goes out

2. I get a fairly big puff of smoke on start-up - especially if it has been sitting overnight or a few days - it is not a definate white or blue or black smoke more a blue-ish grey

could either of these be related or am I just getting paranoid?

Horrible knock, having heard the video. Scared my dogs and they are used to 300tdis. Stupid thought perhaps, (but that's me), if the bearings were replaced so recently and have got in such a state so soon is it possible they were not the correct size? Or maybe there is an oil pump problem?

Horrible knock, having heard the video. Scared my dogs and they are used to 300tdis. Stupid thought perhaps, (but that's me), if the bearings were replaced so recently and have got in such a state so soon is it possible they were not the correct size? Or maybe there is an oil pump problem?

I think they were not torqued correctly, and not installed cleanly which combined has caused excessive wear. I have put in standard size shells because that is what came out, but I hadn't even considered that those might have been wrong!

Unfortunately, rain prevented play today so I won't know until tomorrow if I've fixed it.

Need another vid on what it sounds like now lol well done

:i-m_so_happy: Ignore the rattle at the start, that's the exhaust due to the flange bolts on the centre pipe exiting somewhere up the road last week!

Interestingly, when I bought the truck I could barely turn the crank with a large breaker bar with the glow plugs out, sometimes needed an extension bar. I can now turn it over with a ratchet when there is no compression (just about) so might pick up a bit more power too!

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, looking forward to getting her back on the road