1.8 2004 freelander wont run.

stevegibbs

Help required please.

I have a 2004 1.8 K series Freelander that is doing my head in and all most run out off ideas to try.

So here goes and I will try to include all the info I can.

It starts but wont run.

it starts every time runs for a few seconds the stops, like being turned off.

if you put petrol in via air intake it will keep going, so there must be a spark. But no fuel being injected. So I have checked fuel pressure and that is good as is the amount the pump is pumping which is good.

I have replaced the cam shaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor. I have removed the inlet manifold and striped and clean all parts, I have had the injectors checked and is good. I have had the ecu checked twice by different firms and both say no problem. I have a new battery and also replaced the key fob batteries. The key fobs arm and disarm and the immobilizer is working as it should. I have removed the wiring harness and checked every pin for a contact found one pin that when to the map sensor broken so repaired that. It just wont run on its own something is holding the injectors out. Anyone had the same problem and resolved it.

Regards Steve

Hi all,

the lack of replies to the post above indicates that most others are baffled by this problem too. So my next question is does anyone know of someone in the rg20 6np area that can come and have a look, Good money waiting for someone. Or it will have to go to Lancaster Land rover in Thatcham and cost a fortune. give me a call if you think you can fix it.

Steve

You say you've had the ECU checked out, was that on a diagnostics computer connected to the vehicle?

I'm assuming yours is young enough that the coils are ECU-driven coil packs, so if they are firing (and will run the engine when you add petrol) that means the ECU is happy with the crank sensor and thinks the engine is running.

I'd say that leaves you chasing the injector wiring / power supply, which you can do with a basic multimeter and a bit of clambering about in the engine bay. Might be worth starting with the wiring diagram in the RAVE manual to see if anything can get in the way of it (EG the immobiliser holding them off).

Many thanks for the reply FridgeFreezer,

I have a 12v supply to the injectors when the engine is running or ignition on, which I think is right, but if my memory is right the injectors are fired via the earth in the ecu. you say look at the rave manual? sorry to seem dum, but more info please on this. the coil packs are on top of the engine no distributer so I think a mim 3 system.

Thanks Steve

RAVE manuals are the LR factory/workshop manuals, there's a free download pinned at the top of the part numbers forum. It has full system description, operation, and circuit diagrams.

The injectors are indeed low-side switched, so having 12v supply is half the story but the ECU should ground the other pin of injectors to fire them.

Question: Is your throttle position sensor & wiring OK? Some systems go into "flood clear" mode if the throttle is pushed all the way down while cranking.

Hello more news some good, following on from your info on the flood clear when peddle down and cranking. I took the tcs out but left connected the spring in the tcs holding it in the idle position and tried to start but same as usually. But if I turn the tcs to max the engine starts and runs well. so what does this now mean?

just for info something's I have found about this fuel system setup that differs from the pre 04 models. and the wiring diagrams.

it has a throttle peddle switch with 3 wires not 2.

it has only one temperature sensor not 2

it has no vac pipe connection to the ecu

it has a 6 wire map sensor in the inlet not a 4

the fuel pressure reg is in the tank assy so the one on the manifold does nothing and is no even connected.

A correction to the above, map has 4 wires not 6, older ones would have 3 but the map on this model includes the air temp. sender which is the 4 wire. Going to give it a rest for the week end after checking every wire and pin on the ecu my heads got numm but iam thing beer will correct this.

All have a good bank hol

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

hi could your problem be an air leak in the fuel line b before the injection pump. I had that problem with my Renault the fuel drained back overnight and would not bleed up to the injection pump but I had pressure in the pump but I could see the clear pipe was full of air before the pump

• 7 years later...

Hi

On 8/19/2013 at 1:07 PM, stevegibbs said:

Help required please.

I have a 2004 1.8 K series Freelander that is doing my head in and all most run out off ideas to try.

So here goes and I will try to include all the info I can.

It starts but wont run.

it starts every time runs for a few seconds the stops, like being turned off.

if you put petrol in via air intake it will keep going, so there must be a spark. But no fuel being injected. So I have checked fuel pressure and that is good as is the amount the pump is pumping which is good.

I have replaced the cam shaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor. I have removed the inlet manifold and striped and clean all parts, I have had the injectors checked and is good. I have had the ecu checked twice by different firms and both say no problem. I have a new battery and also replaced the key fob batteries. The key fobs arm and disarm and the immobilizer is working as it should. I have removed the wiring harness and checked every pin for a contact found one pin that when to the map sensor broken so repaired that. It just wont run on its own something is holding the injectors out. Anyone had the same problem and resolved it.

Regards Steve

@stevegibbs - I know this post is from a long time ago but I am have an identical issue and have been pulling my hair out trying to work it out. If you are still out there, please let me know what the conclusion was?

Regards James