series/defender wiper motors; any gurus here?

Daan

Chaps, yesterday I drove and used the windscreen wipers, which then stopped at 12 o'clock (as in the position, not the time). minutes later, I drove over a bump and it returned to park again. I have seen this before last winter, and it always stopped in the same position. It pretty much sounds like the motor needs renewal/repair. Or can I replace brushes on the rotary commutor or something?

If I am to replace the motor, lr series shows that defender ones are the same as series, but I was under the impression that the angle they operate in is different. They also state right hand drive only, but I was under the impression that this would be the same (mine is LHD series).

Also, lr series give you the choice of 30 pounds for non genuine or 153 pounds for genuine. does the 30 pounds one come in a blue box?

So basically, can I fix it, or if I buy a new motor, which one to go for?

Cheers, Daan

Hi,

I know you can buy the brushes; I did, I think they were britpart, but other makes maybe available!

A lot of people say its the park switch and thats what it was, so didn't need to fit the brushes on mine.

I can find the part number tonight if you like?

Steve

I had exactly the same thing happening to me (on the Stage 1 though). I had to replace the brushes because they were completely worn down and the high speed brushes were non-existent. I also had to replace the switch but I couldn't find a decent second hand one the price new was just stupid, so I replaced with a standard 5-position wiper switch from Hella.

Replacing the brushes is not hard, but it is a pain the neck.

The main brushes are pretty much bog standard Lucas, so before you go buying rubbish or expensive branded bits, find the Lucas equivalent and buy them from your local auto-sparky. You will probably find they are too long or too wide. No problem, just use a Stanley knife and trim them to fit. With the high speed brush, the original will probably have a notch in the side. Use your knife to make the appropriate notch.