Brownchurch Galv roof racks

jjojjas

A bit of an odd question considering the din in side most Defenders anyway, but I'm about to buy a 2nd hand Brownchurch full roof rack for my 110 (£150). I was interested if any of you had one and what difference they make to motorway driving? Will it "buzz" and drive me mad or is it not that noticable?

If its horrific I may stick with the trailer......... :unsure:

jas

Got one on the camel. As you say, a 110 ain't exactly quiet anyway!! :lol:

In all seriousness tho, I haven't noticed any extreme noise from up above, but then I haven't ever driven it without the rack on.

They are superb bits of kit tho, especially if you got all the strenthening bars that bolt to the lower bodywork. For that money I think I'd buy it anyway, you can always flog it again... Sodbury is coming up ;)

Dan

Yes they add to the noise, yes it feels like there is a Danforth anchor chained to the tow hitch due to the extra drag (I refuse to use the word "aerodynamics" in describing any Defender) and yes they make it roll like a pig on corners especially when loaded, but for my money there is no better roofrack available if you get one with the stay bars down to the body. Got one on the 90.

Whether you would be better off with a trailer really depends what for. I would never tow a trailer off road but if your carrying requirement is occasional on road use only then you might be better with a trailer as it does noticeably affect the vehicle in everyday use. Mine is used for carrying spare wheel, bridges and ground anchor so I think it is worth the sacrifice. If I had a 110 with the extra space inside, I'm not sure I would bother though.

Guest diesel_jim

Yeah, quite noisy.... i took the one off of the 110 as i don't use it that often.

noise, well, more "wind" noise, nothing intrusive.

speed? well, i gained about 5 or 6mph top end without it, and a staggering 50 miles per tank (on average) more range without it!

So i only bolt it on when i really need it! :rolleyes:

hmmmm. Mixed responses....

Got a sankey you see, mainly for trips to the tip & camping gear. I can't put much in the back of the 110 as its either full of kids or the dogs - big family.

I cycle to work, wife has run around, so 110 is weekend family car/distance tourer/holidays/camping etc.

Off to south France next year and staying in a town (no off street parking) so with the toll roads & security issues I thought of getting a roof rack.....also has the bonus of fitting long lengths of wood on top (I'm always rebuilding something in the house).

I'm right in thinking you drill holes and bolt it through the roof lip aren't I? It doesn't just clamp on like most?

I could store it in the garage on top of the sankey when not in use so appart from removing the bugger I think space to store won't be an issue.

<_<<_<<_<<_<

Got one on the camel. As you say, a 110 ain't exactly quiet anyway!! :lol:

In all seriousness tho, I haven't noticed any extreme noise from up above, but then I haven't ever driven it without the rack on.

They are superb bits of kit tho, especially if you got all the strenthening bars that bolt to the lower bodywork. For that money I think I'd buy it anyway, you can always flog it again... Sodbury is coming up ;)

Dan

just put the rack back on after 8 months off of the camel. Can't say i notice wind noise but then all i can hear is the burble of the V8.

Guest diesel_jim
I'm right in thinking you drill holes and bolt it through the roof lip aren't I? It doesn't just clamp on like most?

<_<<_<<_<<_<

mine is one from Paddocks/craddocks/bearmach type thingy, not a gen-you-whine brownchurch one, but mine is a "clamp on", no drilling needed.

A bit of an odd question considering the din in side most Defenders anyway, but I'm about to buy a 2nd hand Brownchurch full roof rack for my 110 (£150). I was interested if any of you had one and what difference they make to motorway driving? Will it "buzz" and drive me mad or is it not that noticable?

If its horrific I may stick with the trailer......... :unsure:

jas

evening,

i had a full length brownchurch roofrack fitted on my defender 110 when i bought it, i sold it about a month later !

i found the following..

1) increased fuel consumption

2) increased noise levels

3) increased body roll,cornering etc

4) you can't carry alot of weight on them (safely)

5) have you ever lifted one up ? there are very heavy !

6) the suspension bushes and suspension also have extra burden on them, but i guess there are pro's and con's to most solutions :-)

i think roof bars would probaly be a better bet, and when you go on your hols you could mount a peice of ply inbetween for the camping equipment etc, and remove it on your return, leaving the roof bars fitted for you house diy projects B)

cheers...

No it clamps on. I have a genuine Brownchurch heavy duty commercial and it clamps on to the gutter but the clamps and the feet that sit in the gutter are vastly superior in design to most others I have seen, much bigger feet made of box section steel to spread the load, and the commercial ones have more feet than the general purpose racks too (eight on the 90 instead of six, and I think 10 or 12 on the 110 versions).

The only drilling required is onto the bodywork, you take out the middle bolt of the "windscreen hinge" (the solid bracket which replaces where the hinges were on older vehicles) drill the helicoil out and put a bolt right through from the roof rack bracket with a nut on the inside, and on the back you drill out one of the rivets through the body cappings and put a bolt through with a nut on the inside. It does mean it isn't as easy to take off as the regular type of rack though.

just an update on my not-very-interesting-roofrack-thread...........

Took into consideration all replies, and decided to try of the brownchurch......but mentioned it to a mate and he says" I have a rack you can have for £20.."

roofrack.jpg

Not a brownchurch I know....but for £20 i can't complain and it has the bonus of being easy to stash in the garage loft...

cheers

Jas