Changing A frame Ball Joint

I wish I knew about that before I started mine, and unless you have a 20 Tonne press don't bother, I did mine after being on the car for 14 years and when using all the special tools on the press it broke free at 12 tonnes of pressure, there's no way you can replicate that in a bench vice :)

I got mine out using a BIG hammer, and pressed it back in with my vice (a Record 25), but it wasnt pleasant and i wouldnt recommend trying it with any vice less substantial.

The problem with just swapping the carrier (as i found out) is that the bolts can sieze quite comprehensively.

If you want an easy life, get a new carrier and balljoint, and if the bolts sieze, take the grinder to the carrier, ensuring you dont damage the arm. I would advise buying a decent balljoint (Lemforder are the OEM for landrover, and really arent expensive, and will actually last)

Ditto the BIG hammer. Like one with a four foot handle that you can swing over your head. Broke the 'seal' and then pressed out with my 10 ton Clarke bench press. Flap wheel in the hole, copper grease and press new one in.

On the old one, cut off the ears that the bolts go through and then you can sit the whole assemble on the end of a piece of large diameter pipe. Old caliper piston on the other side and give it a hefty wack. Bits go everywhere, but the old ball joint should have moved enough to give you a fighting chance.

(all this was valueable experience when I came to do bottom front suspension ball joints on a Navara....both sides :) )

• 5 weeks later...

Hi.

Bought the ball joint. Was about to replace it till I came to the 30mm castle nut. Which tool is used to remove it. The standard 1/2 dr 30mm socket would not fit. My ride is a D90 TD5. Any recommendations for which tool to use or modifications of standard tools is require?

Regards

Jack

Likewise did mine at home using hammer & vice method.

This was 10-years ago and I fitted a Bearmach adjustable replacement which has been excellent requiring adjustment just once in all that time. Would not hesitate to recomend them and will certainly use one again when it come up for replacement.

I did mine with the following socket and a 1/2" extension bar.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_200705_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

It's a very short socket and fitted on just about perfectly to my 10 spline axle. I assume the TD5 axle has the same amount of space for you to get a socket in.