Coils on series.

Fordrover

I am no expert on vehicle dynamics, and while I agree that power distributions and suspension design have great effects, I don't think your friend is entirely right. I suspect that the RRC, Discovery and Defender models are all permanent 4wd to reduce the strain on the none-too-strong LR standard axles, splitting the torque over the pair instead of loading one. This would also be supported by the early 90/110 having part time 4wd and having optional FWH - their suspension was coils all round, and I suspect that LR only gave this option because these early proto-Defenders had low enough torque from their 2.25 engines that they wouldn't blow the rear transmissions in 2wd. Handling would be improved by 4wd, especially on wet or icy roads, but I don't think 2wd on coils would have been a serious issue.

Just a though on your plan of having the front radius arms horizontal - in addition to needing very low mountings, they will also lose the anti-dive characteristics of inclined radius arms. If you compare how much a LR coiler dives under braking to a leafer, it's a pretty big difference. This anti-dive is achieved by having the radius arms drop down at an angle parallel to the angle drawn from the CoG to the front tyre contact areas. This anti-dive characteristic is not only more comfortable, but presses the tyres harder into the road surface, imcreasing braking efficiency and safety. You'd be losing a lot but levelling the radius arms.

AntiDive is the exact reverse of AntiSquat,and is a product of axle housing torque lifting the chassis ends of the Radius arms upwards,that in turn applies a lifting force to the chassis thereby countering or cancelling the tendency of the front end to dive under brakes. With regard to stability under heavy 'panic braking', particularly on short wheelbase vehicles, the reduced weight transfer to the front wheels should prevent the rear brakes from locking up prematurely.

AFAIK, The heavy body roll of earlier RangeRovers, due to the soggy springs necessitated constant 4WD to maintain good directional control on winding roads.

That the Engineering school dropouts at LandRover Design elected to retain the notoriously fragile spiral bevel differentials together with 10 spline halfshafts on a 2 ton vehicle with a 3.5 litre engine was another factor in choosing constant 4WD.