will boost alloys fit my 1984 defender

Tom17

One of the most commonly asked (and answered) questions.

Boost alloys will fit your 1984 Land Rover Ninety or One Ten correctly only with the addition of spacers. As already stated, even if you can fit them on the early hubs (disc-braked axles only) you can't fit the centre-caps.

Later all-round disc-braked Defender models will take them without modification.

Fronts may fit so long as you don't mind not having the centre caps on. Rears won't fit a on drum braked axle.

One of the fallacies that's often quoted on lr forums I'm afraid!

The problem is they will not fit the front axle!

Boosts may well fit but most later alloys will not the problem is this. As a general rule alloys do not fit drum brakes 90/110/defenders people think this because of the drum brakes which is completly wrong. The reason is the deeper drive member which protrudes through the centre of the wheel and touches the inside of the alloy not allowing it to sit on the hub face. Note back axle 99.9 the alloys will fit this is because you have 6 or 8mm of drum brake on the hub face giving 6 or 8mm extra clearance. The front however has a disk brake and the drive member or more accuratly the drive member bolt heads protrude out from the hub face that little bit extra and stop the fitment of alloys. This is where you run into problems simple answer is yes drum braked ones they do not fit but its not because if the drum brake it's the front that causes the issues.

How do I know.............

Been there machined the drive flanges, made special countersunk bolts, fitted alloys would I do it again not a chance.

I modified a 110 drum braked Salisbury to take discs and alloys. It's a fair bit of work. Spacers are the easy way out, but they have their downsides (increase bearing and stub axle wear, increased steering loads and steering component wear, increased paint work damage and mud thrown up the sides). However, spacers for alloys have flanges to locate the wheel core near the hub in lieu of the hub centring the wheel itself. Sacers used for steel wheels are plain and don't support the wheel centre. I am not sure the alloy wheels are rated to be unsupported at their centres and located only by the nuts, and I don't think the lug equipped alloy spacers will fit the older hubs.

• 2 weeks later...
What about a 1991 Def 110. Has drum brakes at the back & Discs on the front. THe only other options is to convert the rear drum brakes to disc brakes, will it then fit?

No, they won't. The 200 Defender 110 axles are identical to the earlier 110.

Even with 30 mm spacers on a thick drive flange axle, you will still foul the drive flange bolt heads with a freestyle alloy.

Mo

I guess not - I didn't consider the rotation of the wheel position on the hub, lining the wheel nut lobes up with the drive flange bolts...

• 4 months later...

Some alloys will fit some were designed to fit not many mind

RRC 3 spokes will not many later ones will not it's far more complicated than will x fit even the 3 spoke alloys I had 3 versions with differences in measurements. The only sure way is to try. Be wary I've seen more than a few older 90's with alloys driving about around here with the front wheels wobbling all over the place simply because it's not sitting flush on the hub face. How they can drive it at speed is beyond me. Either the person fitting them is clueless or down right shouldn't be touching vehicles.

My 90 is a shed but mechanicals are 100% right.