damned noisy spigot bearing

MBE_NZ

The horrible spigot bearing screech is back. my TD5 had "the noise" intermittently at low speeds and manoeuvring in car parks. There seemed to be no real hard and fast rule as to when it would occur and it stopped for no reason (about a year ago) and hasn't made the noise since... until last week as now its back!!!

I've been told it's nothing to worry about and not worth the effort (or labour costs) of replacing it – to leave it until the clutch needs work. My previous research seemed to agree with this line of thought and I was happy with that approach especially when the noise disappeared, but now it's back and I'm not so sure.

it's quite embarrassing when pulling in or out of car parks and the horrid screech starts up. Sometimes putting her in neutral and foot off clutch, then back on again stops the noise - others times it doesn't matter what I do - the noise is there until the clutch is right out

Any advice?

Is there a way to quieten it down again?

I wish i knew. My TD5 disco does this now, but only since the clutch (and i presume spigot bearing) was changed. I too have heard that it is 'just one of those things' and nothing to worry about, so i'm keen to see what folks on here think.

When i fit my own clutches (garage did the disco), i soak the spigot bearing for as long as possible in oil. I dont know if this helps, but its the only thing i can think of for future changes that might alleviate this.

In addition, the noise was just a few seconds in the morning, not during hot work.

Interesting. When mine does do this, it only occurs when cold at startup too. It does however seem to be related to the clutch pedal position, but then i suppose at biting point, it may be causing a wobble in that pulley damper.