Colour codes for P38 Wiring

Simon_CSK

If it helps I have 5 pairs.

Blue and Blue with a black trace

Red and Red with a black trace

Yellow and Yellow with a black trace

Green and Green with a black trace

Orange and Orange with a black trace

I suspect that one pair does front left, one does front right one does, rear left, one does rear right and the last pair goes to the sub. Also I suspect that the wires with the trace are the positives.

I'd have thought you'd have RAVE available, if you are working with a 38A.

The ETM has these details, but there were various radio options, and they varied over the years.

The best I can say is based on the assumption the colours always went to the same corner of the car.

The speaker diagrams don't show positive and negative, rather terminals 1 & 2.

The wire with the tracer appears to always go to speaker terminal 1.

Of the main colours

Yellow = Left front

Red = Right front

Green = Left rear

Blue = Right rear

Orange = Subwoofer Amplifier, with the trace wire on Terminal 10 and the Plain wire on Terminal 9. There is no mention of +ve and -ve.

If you are serious about a 38A, learn to use RAVE.

Regards.

If you are serious about a 38A, learn to use RAVE.

Regards.

Dave

Thanks for your help.

As for RAVE I am dyslexic I am still struggling with reading and writing :hysterical:

Seriously I find the forum useful because I can find information like this otherwise I would spend weeks reading something that has no meaning.

Thanks again

Polarity shouldn't be essential, as long as you wire everything the same. The sub I have came with it's own little amp attached which I didn't use as I wired directly to a third party amp - there are two drivers in the sub which only work properly when wired in opposite polarity to each other.

I don't have dyslexia and still find the etm hard to decipher!

Dave.

Got the stereo wired but there is a buzz from somewhere and there is poor sound from the front right and the rear left. Almost non existent.

Any ideas?

Is it the standard head unit? IIRC they had a habit of doing this. There was a place you could send them off to be repaired - I'm sure google will help you find it.

Got the stereo wired but there is a buzz from somewhere and there is poor sound from the front right and the rear left. Almost non existent.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the ground loop issue on the higher-end factory installations (the Harman Kardon system). You can build a box of tricks to somewhat take care of the problem, but the source of the problem is that you have two amplifiers. You could check if your headunit has an unamplified output and use that.

It is a newish head unit I am trying to install. I do not have sound from the front right and rear left and think I may have a blown amp so after all the work I may just wire the head unit directly to the speakers and be done with it. Unless someone has a better idea.

• 2 years later...

If the amps are blown then it's probably cheaper to directly wire a new head unit than to buy replacement amps. As far as using an aftermarket head unit with the HK amps, the only way to properly do it is to use a low-impedance line-driver (basically a high-end pre-amp). When fitting an Kenwood CD/Bluetooth headunit to the '99 p38 i used to have, I used the AudioControl Matrix Plus (6-channels mean that you can also use it for the sub or to add your own subs + amp).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I need some help

I am looking to change the factory head unit for an aftermarket unit

I do have Rave but am struggling to get me head around them

I have the following wires and am trying to relate them to the head unit I have

I believe these are speakers but will stand corrected, I just don’t know where they go

Blue and Blue/Black – Right rear

Orange and Orange/Black –  How would these connect to the new unit

Green and Green/Black - Left rear

Yellow and yellow/Black  - Left front

Red and Red/Black -  Right front

I believe the other wires are

Red with white stripe – Is it switch live (ignition)

Black-                     ground

Purple    - Is this permanent Live (memory)

White – illumination

Grey/black – Are these the steering wheel volume up

Grey/black - Are these the steering wheel volume down

Grey/orange Are these the steering wheel search

If you can correct my guess work I would be grateful

Cheers

Dave

20180627_134933.jpg

20180627_134944.jpg