LPG Off Road

missingsid

Just read the flier for the LRO show (skint so wasn't going) and it says in the Off Road Route bit that it is not recomended for LPG vehicles. Surely this is just H&S type caution, aren't modern LPG systems sorted for off road use or do you need to switch back to Petrol for the rough stuff?

Marc

LPG is regularly used in the states as it means you don't get fuel delivery issues at any angle, and I've run LPG off road without issues at all.

I can only guess they think the 3/4mm tanks are aren't strong enough, or just covering their backsides.

I have been running mine in serious off road situations for 10 years without issue. It is very smooth and will run at any angle.

Deep water no problem - BUT it could be.

Most vaporisers are not 'compensated' to the air intake. This means that on the back of the unit is a vent hole which allows the back of the diaphragm to be exposed to atmosphere so that it can deflect and increase the supply of gas on demand when the throttle is opened. If water gets in here, then the diaphragm will not move correctly and the engine could stall and or fail to run properly.

Another possible area where there is a potential for problem is the electrics. Particularly the HT system. LPG/air mix is slightly harder to ignite than petrol/air mix and places a greater demand on the HT system. If the ignition system is only just providing enough spark to light the mix, a loss of voltage due to damp/water is likely to cause it to cut out.

Similarly a water related short circuit on any of the LPG solenoids, or other electrics could cause a problem.

Perhaps the warnings are because in previous years, they have had LPG vehicle failures which have blocked the course and caused delays?

A properly sorted and tested installation shouldn't be a problem off road.

Regards,

Diff.

My 101 has been fitted with the same LPG system since 1992 and the vehicle has travelled all around northern Australia in that time - mostly offroad. I have used it in various offroad conditions with LPG and have had not issues other than lack of fuel in remote areas - but then I just switch to petrol.

I suspect the decision was made by some Nanna who does not know about LPG.

Garry

My LPG 3.9 has been working very well off-road for the last 10 years. I can't think of any reason why a course might be unsuitable unless you have very low slung tanks, but TBH, a standard fuel tank of a RRC or Disco is vulnerable enough.

As for vapouriser water ingress, I have a shield plate protecting the vent hole. It just stops it taking a gobful if water comes over the wing top. You could always run a breather extension to a high location, as many do with gearbox and axle breather pipes.

Sounds like the flyer was written by someone that doesn't know much about LPG.

As for vapouriser water ingress, I have a shield plate protecting the vent hole. It just stops it taking a gobful if water comes over the wing top. You could always run a breather extension to a high location, as many do with gearbox and axle breather pipes.

My vapouriser sits in the 101 front wheel arch and is fully exposed to water when fording and water thrown up by the front wheel and I have never had any issues.

Garry