M57 into 110 CSW

Did measure , but cant remember for sure at the mo , I can tell you that when mounted on front of a lt85 the front face of the fan is about 10mm from cowling of a td5 rad , mounted in standard position .WhenI put it on front of r380 had to pull it back another 25mm.

Both are controlled by length of gearbox spigot shaft entering into rear of M57 crank , which is 10.5 inches in the case of the R380 as used in a P38 . As you can see its almost the same as a V8 serpentine . Hope that helps your deliberations .

Curious about one to replace my 200one day :-). How does the lt85 compare to the defender lt77 for length?

Its very expensive to try and use the Lt85 behind a M57 , as there is no bell housing to use , i had to make mine and although i think i got it right my lt85 that had a little noise , had more after i had changed over to the M57 , I wasnt 100% certain that i had got it aligned exactly right , so that is why I went to the modified r380 , as having the lt85 rebuilt , and then ending up with the same result would be a risk too far , especially with the time contraints involved. and the r380 is just using standard parts in a non standard way . HTSH

I have a discovery 200tdi with m57 engine fitted by Jeremy fearn, the truck has been sat for a year but I am considering selling it if anyone wanted the wiring and everything as a complete turn key package!

Contact me on 07850913321.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

The r380 seems to be working well behind the M57 , although 1st and 2nd run out of rev range extremely quickly and 3rd not much better :ph34r: , but im trying to moderate my driving in view of longevity ! The push in the back is quite addictive tho ! and when you think its moving about minimum 2.5 ton of 110 , it was well worth the effort of going BMW rather than 300tdi or td5 , and the TD6 badge invites a few questions .

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone wanting to do this conversion the Jeremy fearn way is now out of luck. I just called them, and got a pretty cold reception from I assume his mother. He has apparently moved to very large international company, and no longer does ecu work. Which doesn't make sense given he has multiple outlets etc,

I wasn't given the chance to explain, as the lady asked to cut me short and say goodbye,

Iim looking at doing this but mating it to the 4hp24 hopefully using ashcrofts adaptor plate (awaiting a reply from Dave), or using the entire BMW setup including box, and using rakeways remote lt230 adaptor to link the box to the transfer box.

The other alternative is to custom build the bellhousing on the bench, but I want to avoid if possible.

As I understand it, striping the car of the loom, and anything sensory, whilst retaining the BMW auto box will allow "standalone" usage without fearn's electrickery (albeit far more involved and time consuming.

depending on the year of the M57 , the only extra electrickery bit you need is a conversion harness from Rallyraid UK , about £250 .

This allows it to run with a manual box, or a hydraulic autobox. For a lecky autobox , a compushift will do the trick .

You could use the p38 auto bellhousing . as this should fit at both ends with a Zf and a M57 . The M51 is same as a M57 for bellhousing front end purposes. HTSH.

try and use as little of BMW electricals as possible as its a pig trying to get any info from anyone, and the BMW wiring diagram is like deciphering a printout from a Enigma machine !!

Thanks tacr. I'll see what rallyaid do. A few companies wanted to charge me 3k to do the wiring, so I couldn't help but laugh and say the entire car as a donor will only cost £800 ish!

I think the p38 bellhousing will only take the medium torque converter at best, whereas Ideally I want to use the large converter from the 4hp24. I think this would be where dave's plate comes in, but no reply (probably fed up of my enquiries tbh!).

I would like to pop a leccy box in, and use the standard box looms then later pop a compushift on it.

How does the spacing work in yours for the engine, props etc? Are you running a stubby box just to fit it in, or is there plenty of space?

The M57 is almost same length as the RV8 , In fact I had to move the engine back 1 inch when i went from lt85 to P38 front R380 (thats with The p38 input shaft) . The gearbox fits in the standard position . The TD5 rad and cowling are all standard apart for where i modded to fit PS cooler pipes from M57. I dont know what bellhousing the L322 uses but they were all autos, behind an M57. I dont think Dave does the L322 gearboxes ? The only fitting problem is the 110 steering box is where you would fit the aircon compressor on a M57 ( needs about another inch of width ! ) . There are no other clearance problems . The pipes are all in about the same places , and the diameters are fairly similar . There is plenty of room on n/s of engine bay to fit M57 filter assy , using standard M57 pipes. The engine fits under bonnet with enough clearance , and with the axle casing on to bump stops . Better than the Puma does !

I changed my early washer bottle for the later under front wing defender type. HTSH

Exactly the same with my M52, can't fit the A/C compressor, but it is great it's on a second belt, planning on fitting a second alternator in that gap using a custom bracket and the A/C belt.

Is the M57 impeccably smooth? I've been running mine about 2 months now and it still baffles me that I'm driving a defender with zero engine vibration! (that's using standard LR puck mounts too)

Yes engine is very smooth , am now trying to decide if I need to change the transfer gearing , as 1st and 2nd run out of revs so fast, also a lot less heat thru the footwell and seatbase area than with the V8 . I have titanium bandage wrapped right from turbo, back to muffler , so that is probably saving a lot of underbonnet heat. My 90 auto really does sound tractor like in comparison ^_^

I have never really liked BMWs, but they do make cracking engines! BMW did a good thing when they bought land rover, shame it ended really!!

I have done the same, my exhaust is Titanium wrapped from the manifolds to the first muffler, save the propshaft and gearbox from the heat. Gearing in mine is spot on though, using the R380 standard ratios and a 1.41 transfer box, but being petrol that suits it very nicely.

I've only done one measured fill up, all on back roads and it got 17.

But that's false as I have a open air filter at the moment, thermostat was faulty (running around 60C), dodgy lambda and a intake leak.

Got all the bits to sort the issues, just a lack of time! So in truth I don't really know what it'll get!

I've only done one measured fill up, all on back roads and it got 17.

But that's false as I have a open air filter at the moment, thermostat was faulty (running around 60C), dodgy lambda and a intake leak.

Got all the bits to sort the issues, just a lack of time! So in truth I don't really know what it'll get!

soon you will need to fit a M50 manifold and bbtb.. :ph34r:;)

• 2 weeks later...

Been having a conversation with a German land rover enthusiast , who is looking to put the M57 into his rallyraid 110, but is just sorting a means of using the 6speed BMW M5 gearbox connecting up to the lt230 . His mercedes engineer contact says the gearbox is more than man enough for the M57 engine , even remapped. This might prove to be a good alternative to a beefed up R380 .

A friend and I is currently building a 100" with a m57 engine which have previously been in a 90". In the 90" (only used on road) it used a 380 but it went through them every 40k km or so. Our plan now is to use a bmw gearbox (although only 5 speed I reckon) mated to a lt230. This is done to try to get some sort of longterm life in it. The car is going to be used both as a challenge truck as well as to-from work... When the weather allows it (no roof :-) )

Mads

Anyone wanting to do this conversion the Jeremy fearn way is now out of luck. I just called them, and got a pretty cold reception from I assume his mother. He has apparently moved to very large international company, and no longer does ecu work. Which doesn't make sense given he has multiple outlets etc,

I wasn't given the chance to explain, as the lady asked to cut me short and say goodbye,

Jeremy I believe has had personal problems, and cutting a long miserable story short, he is (currently) no longer operating. He has lost his premises and home.

To be frank , apart from the rallyraid harness you dont need any special parts to do this conversion . Its all standard BMW and Land rover(rangerover) parts . The exhaust front pipe , and a couple of engine mounts is the only fabrication . Throttle pedal is Mini (BMW) .