M57 into 110 CSW

The engines now fully functioning apart from a t piece for the water temp guage , ended up using the rave manual for a l322 to sort the wiring , as the BMW wiring manual is utter c&@p . Goes to have a stainless front pipe made and fitted on Wednesday , will connect upto the standard V8 muffler and system . Soon as i manage a test drive will give you a verdict on whether to rush out and do the same conversion to your defender ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Having a bit of a prob with converting the camera footage to operating on the computer , as matter of interest you can just about feel engine running with hands on the front wing . Bit of intake noise at the mo as yet to connect up the 75mm intake pipe to snorkle(air filter hose system ) as the airfilter is not underbonnet but up at roof level ! Will be able to road run it as of 1st dec so will have idea as to performance level soon after that ;)

I had a 530 estate with this engine, and it was superb, wish i hadn't sold it......... just be aware of turbo issues, and be careful if you need to remove injectors...!

I had mine mapped, and it became epic..... thankfully it was a manual too, cos the autos have issues aswell!!

Looks like you may need to relocate the header tank in order to connect the snorkel, i assume you've also kept the filter inside the engine cover housing.... which means you could remove the one on the snorkel...???

I had a 530 estate with this engine, and it was superb, wish i hadn't sold it......... just be aware of turbo issues, and be careful if you need to remove injectors...! Luckily it was a 1 owner low miles Full BMW sh .

I had mine mapped, and it became epic..... thankfully it was a manual too, cos the autos have issues aswell!! Yes mine was a manual so no swirl flaps

Looks like you may need to relocate the header tank in order to connect the snorkel, i assume you've also kept the filter inside the engine cover housing.... which means you could remove the one on the snorkel...??? No header tank is fine , Have removed the filter in engine top cover , and have adapter in there to connect thru to snorkle pipe system at rear of engine bay , which also has the takeoffs for air supply to ecu box still utilises the BMW temp sensor and cooling fan and is sealed as well . The one on the roof rack is a far more HD unit HTSH

• 4 months later...

Further update, been busy in the back , camper type fitout . Had a guy in today who remapped the ecu , with excellent results, much more pull from go, and now you can feel the shove in the back , very different feel of acceleration , compared with my 300tdi 90 !

Anyone want his details PM me . Got on to him thru BMW forum . :)

Had the pleasurable experience of listening to a 90 that had just had one of these dropped it

Was early stages of wiring/tuning but the exhaust note sounded, urm, unnervingly purposeful/powerful

Was hard not to like it

Done the first long run , just over 1000miles up into Scotland and back via Lake district, about 50% motorway at 60mph cruise, and the rest on smallish roads thru hilly areas, involving a fair bit of braking /accelerating , with about 3/4 load , and a bigger than standard barn door frontal area (roof rack etc). Based on fillup and refill to same point , 29mpg , which is about double what the V8 was doing , so well worth the trouble! :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

Done the first long run , just over 1000miles up into Scotland and back via Lake district, about 50% motorway at 60mph cruise, and the rest on smallish roads thru hilly areas, involving a fair bit of braking /accelerating , with about 3/4 load , and a bigger than standard barn door frontal area (roof rack etc). Based on fillup and refill to same point , 29mpg , which is about double what the V8 was doing , so well worth the trouble! :i-m_so_happy:

Sounds good, I did a run up to the lake district from Buckinghamshire last month in my 3.5V8 and got 14MPG :o

Not sure if i'de swap still.

• 1 month later...

Now on Mk11 transmission set up , as the lt85 became very noisy , so decided not to rebuild as not 100% certain it was not partly due to input shaft being on a slightly different line. So out came the LT85 , which meant getting the modified pilot bearing out as well ! I then sourced a L suffix ex P38 R 380 , and a ex defender r380 . Both boxes were taken to Ashcroft where the P38 front end had the defender rear built onto it , after having a big bearing conversion. The P38 already had the thermostat oil cooler adapter housing, so I have connected that to a Mocal 13 row cooler with a 8" lecky fan . The biggest hassle was amazingly , that the r380 wont fit under the Lt85 tunnel . So needed to fit the td5 front diaphragm, tunnel and I used a section of td5 seatbase , as didnt want to have to remove seatbase with all that would involve on my particular vehicle. You also have to use the 300tdi crossmember , which meant as well having to move the engine back 25mm . I am now waiting on getting a new stainless intermediate pipe made . I gave it a short road test and all is functioning well , the exhaust noise is quite intoxicating , but you would tire of it fairly quickly especially the jet engine whine from the turbo !!

Hi,

Sounds like its gone well,

I thought I would let you know that a few months ago we made an adapter plate to allow you to fit the ZF4HP24 with the big 4.6 converter to this engine, we have never fitted it up but I think it would work very well with the big converter to give it a low stall speed and a Compushift to set the shift points, so if the 380 breaks, let me know,

Dave