Mpg on 200 tdi quick reply needed

Tom17

Hi all

I've had my landy over a year now but never done motorway mileage in it

I get around 25 mpg to work and back and that's country roads with a bit of stop start but on the motorway what mpg could I expect as ill be doing 80 mile trips in it every now and again to Manchester

Any info would great

At 50 on the motorway with a disco transfer box and 7.50's, I've been getting 38+mpg consistently for the last 10 weeks! It can be done!
Bloody hell, that's some good going Chris! Is that with the speedo correction applied for 7.50s? Mine over-reads by 5% so the MPG figures are adjusted accordingly. Don't think I could drive 400 miles on the motorway at 50mph though!

If it wasn't for the fact that I want to be able to tow with the car I'd probably be looking at puting a 1.2 Disco box in too.

Bloody hell, that's some good going Chris! Is that with the speedo correction applied for 7.50s? Mine over-reads by 5% so the MPG figures are adjusted accordingly. Don't think I could drive 400 miles on the motorway at 50mph though!

If it wasn't for the fact that I want to be able to tow with the car I'd probably be looking at puting a 1.2 Disco box in too.

I'm not actually calculating it using the speedo at all. I do a set 220 miles a week (google maps confirmed the distance) and all I'm working it out by how much fuel I use during the week, to a brimmed tank at the start of the next week - more accurate than using the speedo! I've 40.7mpg is the highest I've seen!

As I only do short journeys, I'm quite happy to sit at 50-55mph in the slow lane and just cruise :) There are some occasions where I wish I didn't have the 1.2, but for the most part it's a damn good mod. I don't do any towing however!

Back in the nineties when I had a newish one, best I could get was about 28, so I would put a realistic figure of around that.

Towing is no problem with a 1.2 transfer. If it stuggles just dont use top gear. Or struggles even..............

I do remember reading in LRO, years ago, about an economy record attempt in a Range Rover with a Tdi. It went from Lands End to John O'Groats at an average of something like 52 m.p.g.. Not anywhere near realistic but, clearly, the basic motor is capable of excellent economy. I regularly met people in the big wide open spaces of Australia who claimed mid thirties.

Don

I'm not actually calculating it using the speedo at all. I do a set 220 miles a week (google maps confirmed the distance) and all I'm working it out by how much fuel I use during the week, to a brimmed tank at the start of the next week - more accurate than using the speedo! I've 40.7mpg is the highest I've seen!

Crikey. I would have said 40mpg was impossible in a Defender based on my experience but there you go! Nice work :)

Back in the nineties when I had a newish one, best I could get was about 28, so I would put a realistic figure of around that.

Towing is no problem with a 1.2 transfer. If it stuggles just dont use top gear. Or struggles even..............

The 200Tdi isn't up to it I don't think. On the motorway loaded up with stuff moving house it struggles to keep itself in the power band going up the bigger hills as it is with the 1.4 box. Hang 2 tonnes off the back of it on top of all that and I just don't see it being a viable option upping the gearing further! That said I have not driven one in that configuration so willing to be proven wrong.

Ive managed 42 mpg in a 200tdi 90 with disco transfer box. That was maps verified and brimmed (ie filled to a markon the inside of the filler).

Its amazing whats possible when you're a very broke student!

H

Crikey. I would have said 40mpg was impossible in a Defender based on my experience but there you go! Nice work :)

The 200Tdi isn't up to it I don't think. On the motorway loaded up with stuff moving house it struggles to keep itself in the power band going up the bigger hills as it is with the 1.4 box. Hang 2 tonnes off the back of it on top of all that and I just don't see it being a viable option upping the gearing further! That said I have not driven one in that configuration so willing to be proven wrong.

I've just fitted a 1.2 set of gears into my 110 and I would advise anyone to do it - massive difference. In terms of towing I haven't yet put a decent trailer behind the 110 with the new ratios but have done a run with ~1/2 a tonne of ammunition in the boot in addition to other carp useful stuff which I have done with the 1.4. Overall conclusion is that on big hills (thinking of a couple on the Heads of the Valley's route) it didn't really struggle any more than when it had the 1.2 in but just had to be in a lower gear. It's pretty happy going up the big hills at 60 in 4th rather than 5th. Overall I would have said that in 4th it can accelerate slightly more and maintain a slightly higher speed.

But apparently my 300 runs well - as far as I know it hasn't been tuned by the previous owner but does seem to be pretty quick compared to other Landy's (maybe just the way I drive!) but seemed to be coping better than a mate's Tdci today... :unsure:

Some rather amazing mpg claims here. Not that I'd want to dispute them, but some of these are half as much again over what Land Rover claim. Personally 24-28mpg has been my experience in many different Tdi's. Maybe 30 if you are real gentle.

Running at 50mph on a motorway (if clear) is rather anti social too as you'll be constantly forcing lorries to overtake.

Also remember most Disco's ran smaller tyres than a Tdi Defender. So a Disco on 28-29" tyres will run similar mph per 1000rpm as a Defender with the 1.4:1 box and 235's or 7.50's on. That's why they'll tow the same.

Some rather amazing mpg claims here. Not that I'd want to dispute them, but some of these are half as much again over what Land Rover claim. Personally 24-28mpg has been my experience in many different Tdi's. Maybe 30 if you are real gentle.

Running at 50mph on a motorway (if clear) is rather anti social too as you'll be constantly forcing lorries to overtake.

Also remember most Disco's ran smaller tyres than a Tdi Defender. So a Disco on 28-29" tyres will run similar mph per 1000rpm as a Defender with the 1.4:1 box and 235's or 7.50's on. That's why they'll tow the same.

Fair enough, I'm not forcing you to believe it. Those are my findings over an extended period of time, a question was asked on what mpg for a 200tdi and I replied with what I've achieved - I've got no reason to lie to myself about these figures, either that or the pumps are lying about how much fuel they're giving me, which seems a tad unlikely that they'll be giving me more than I pay for :) I keep a weekly record if anyone is has any interest.

As for how I drive my Landy on the motorway, I hadn't realised there was an antisocial speed limit on anything below 55 or 60mph. I'll make sure to drive faster in future, just for you ;)

I must admit that back in 1993 when I got my first one (90) I was rather underwhelmed with it. It was a much trumpeted quantum leap over the old TD and NA for sure..........apart from the noise, but I found it rather disappointing in speed and power running out of steam uphills. Mine was never as good as I was expecting (perhaps I was expecting too much) and not doing what others, including the magazines, claimed.

It was checked over more than once and I even had an uprated turbo put on it, but still not really impressed.

However, hired a few others, and even drove down to central France in one, and two of them went like a rocket and were MUCH more economical too....................and noticably quieter.

Anyway, since that time I have had some adventures with several Astra 1.7 DTIs, and have learned first hand how DTI engines are very much altered by small changes in pump timing. Noise Harshness and economy.

Hve done nothing with a 200 TDI yet, but is something i am going to experiment with, thats if I don't decide to go the V8 route instead...........................

Guess it's a personal thing then. Not really trying to compare them though as they are simply different.

But I do like how the Tdi's offer up their grunt and they don't really feel as though they hit a brick wall and run out of revs either. If anything I'd say they are almost V8 like in many ways in how they shove you in the back.

I can readily believe the 40mpg bit. Wallace's avg is a 'fraction' under 30mpg, mixed use, no real long journeys, a lot or sub 5 miles. (300tdi) and I too sit in the slow lane, behind trucks most of the time (aerodynamic, and a grat regulator of speed). A great improvement from the 26.5 avg I had been getting for the previous 4 years. I just completely changed my driving style. My best was 35 mpg on a trip back from Dorset with a side/tailwind, and having removed my roofrack, but a lot of over 30's have followed. This is with a std t/box, so with a lowered gearing i'd say this was perfectly feasible. My only doubt as to the conversion itself is the aerodynamics/power curve. Ie with a 1.2 ftted, to cruise at the optimum revs (1800rpm) one would have to be travelling 10mph faster than with a 1.4 box, but in doing so , the air pressure is increased dramaticaly, thus negating some of the gain.